• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unbricked my Droid 3 now WiFi signal sucks

No. I haven't "unbricked" a phone, but I have done a full SBF on a D3 and it is still running fine since. (I did this to fully unroot a phone.)

What process did you use to unbrick?

Also, is it just one WiFi access point with which you are having this issue, or any WiFi access point? If it is one point, is it possible that there are new WiFi channel conflicts from other nearby WiFi access points that's causing this coincidentally?

Upvote 0
Thanx for the reply doogald. I purchased my D3 already bricked (would freeze at the Motorola screen) confident that I could fix it. Needless to say I got a good price on it. The biggest problem I faced was not knowing what Ver it was running. I had to resort to process of elimination, hoping for no permanent damage. Five days into it and a countless amount of broken links later, not to mention the last Ver I tried, I was finally successful with psouzaFXZwithRootToos-D3, and the Ver was 5.6.890. I think I had to translate a Chinese page just to get the 900mb sbf I needed. Then at last I heard the most beautiful word "DROID". :D

As for my WiFi issue... Unfortunately I currently reside in a hotel with "free wifi" so I have very little control nor information on the router. All my other WiFi devices still pick up the same shity signal though. But with the D3 at literally have to be next to the office to get any kind of a connection. At first it would "search" then "disconnect" in a loop. After a few reboots and standing next to the office I was able to hold a signal long enough to register and download a few apps.

Is this normal for a D3? I refuse to believe that a Droid of this quality was built like that... am I in denial??:rolleyes: I certainly hope not.

Upvote 0
First, before I start I want to point out this great resource from xda-developers user sd_shadow: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...gVAeQXxSkaLPlBAAw/edit#heading=h.lpb8vdlj146l

On the off-chance that you have a bad radio, you can try running the SBF again. However, I would get it from this source: Droid-Developers SBF

Pay attention the the bootloader version that you have, which you can find out using this procedure: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1suBx1DH7jWmHeM0mDerIStodDSgVAeQXxSkaLPlBAAw/edit#

You probably have either 0A.53 or 0A.64.

If you do need to use 5.7.906.XT862, in order to root, you need to use Motofail. A link to that is in the sd_shadow document.

Anyway, both of my D3s gets WiFi in a reasonable range, so it's not that. If the official SBF doesn't work, it may be a bad radio on the phone, though...

Reactions: themib
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones