• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unbricking/Unroot/Return to Stock LG Spirit 4G

Keep getting the kdz decrypt error extract file error. in the firmware down it says the file is 681mb when I download it it says 681mb when I pull it into a folder it's reading 680mb the kdz file uptest made is the same size as the cab file 680. Any help? still got a semi brick here

its the firmware download, i had to download it 4 times to get a good one. i don't know whats up with that, try the alternative link he has

Upvote 0
No the download was complete, my error was when I tried to move it from the downloads folder to the folder where I'm keeping all the unbricking files. Some how some where something just fudged, when I followed the step leaving the the files where they downloaded to all went smooth. So I finally got it to go through. I can't thank you enough for this guide on unbricking! One thing I have noticed since owning and rooting all my android devices, most of the guidelines are written in ways expecting all users to know how to operate all these programs small details like extract files from zip into new folder in order for programs to run properly are just assumed I can't tell you how many times I tried running the ex files while in 7zip and they didn't run properly until I pulled them out. Lil details like if you move d/ld'd files you may loose data are also overlooked, had I not been desperate to try all options I might not have known this and returned to metro for a refurb just over a minor detail. All that said I'm glad I figured this all out and again I thank you Sammyz for this guide, without it I'd have had a semi brick.

Reactions: sammyz
Upvote 0
Interesting... while making custom rom for spirit, I accidentally flashed LG Motions's firmware to Spirit, eventually the phone bricked.

I could see phone was turning on (lcd lit up) but no message showed up at all, no download mode message, no factory reset message even with key combinations.

So I just assumed I was in download mode and connected USB and flashed Spirit firmware.. surprisingly it was flashing all firmware files and doing all the steps, eventually phone rebooted and went back to normal (phew..)

so even though you don't see the factory mode message, the phone might be in factory reset as long as you turn on with volume + - , i thought i perma bricked my phone but it wasn't :)

Upvote 0
Interesting... while making custom rom for spirit, I accidentally flashed LG Motions's firmware to Spirit, eventually the phone bricked.

I could see phone was turning on (lcd lit up) but no message showed up at all, no download mode message, no factory reset message even with key combinations.

So I just assumed I was in download mode and connected USB and flashed Spirit firmware.. surprisingly it was flashing all firmware files and doing all the steps, eventually phone rebooted and went back to normal (phew..)

so even though you don't see the factory mode message, the phone might be in factory reset as long as you turn on with volume + - , i thought i perma bricked my phone but it wasn't :)

Well glad you got it solved. Hopefully rom soon.

Upvote 0

Is your 4G working?

Upvote 0
Does the app tell me to unplug? or just finish writing script?

My phone was bricked..and it went through everything, doesn't say unplug on the app though.

My phone says "Need to charge more to power on".

Is it done? Or do I need to let my laptop charge it so the app can finish installing the KDZ?
Once you get this last line, the unbrick is done and you can unplug the phone...

Step Complete : DSP Write

Upvote 0
Once you get this last line, the unbrick is done and you can unplug the phone...

Step Complete : DSP Write

That was a quick reply! I had already said **** it and unplugged it...I'm not exactly sure what the issue was why I had a brick though.

I download the gapps.zip and it bricked during the download?!?! I'm gonna keep a close watch on the phone the next few days as a stock phone and if I have any issues I'll force a brick then get it replaced by Metro.

Upvote 0
That was a quick reply! I had already said **** it and unplugged it...I'm not exactly sure what the issue was why I had a brick though.

I download the gapps.zip and it bricked during the download?!?! I'm gonna keep a close watch on the phone the next few days as a stock phone and if I have any issues I'll force a brick then get it replaced by Metro.

You didn't delete videos.apk, did you?

Upvote 0
No I didn't delete any Google apps at all, I know thats a no-no. It went into a bootloop during a download, then I tried a factory reset...and it stayed in bootloop. My only guess is that possibly once the zip was downloaded one of my file explorer's were set to auto unzip file after download and it caused the crash. I'm not exactly sure to be honest. It was rooted, bloatware removed except for Google apps..custom bootload, stock rom, 2nit recovery, google now installed and then just games.

Either way, thank you tons Sammyz for the write-up and saving my phone!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones