1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Underclocking/undervolting when idle for battery savings

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by divinebovine, Jul 28, 2013.

1. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    Lately I've seen a few posts mentioning that underclocking and/or undervolting when idle, using a CPU control app that is made to do so, helps with battery life. I installed AnTutu Battery Saver based on the logic that Dracable trusted AnTutu CPU Master enough to put it in DrAndroid Lite, and I trust him.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antutu.powersaver
    It seems to work the way it should.

I think the end result is that my Venture, already horrifically unresponsive and slow to come out of idle (answering a phone call is a stressful experience!), seems to be worse. Has anyone done something similar with a Venture and had better success?

Advertisement

2. Dracable

Dracable Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Humboldt County, CA
    Ive only used antutu's cpu master, and their benchmark app. Honestly, as far as cpu managers go, i prefer SetCPU. I only added antutu cuz its a free app. As far as battery management apps go, i discourage them altogether. Its just 1 more service in memory, sucking down cpu usage, and therefore draining battery. All of the options battery saver apps give u r usually able to be done manually. They are just "convienience" apps, therefore making it a waste of ram/cpu. I got decent battery life on the Venture if i kept sync off, kept brightness all the way down, kept wifi/bluetooth disabled and gps turned off. i used to surf the web on it constantly too. U want even more battery life? Throw your phone in airplane mode when not using it.
    As far as underclocking/volting go, underclocking a tad may help a little bit. As far as undervolting goes, i think, if i remember correctly, the kernel has to have support for under/overvolting, and i dont think that was added to the drandroid kernel.
    Keep in mind, that WAS my first try at an OC kernel. Im sure there are probably a few things i didnt get right! U could always try to reflash the stock kernel and see if it improves anything. Either way, keep us informed! Anymore questions, feel free to ask! :)

3. divinebovine

None

Aug 30, 2012
    Airplane mode isn't an option for me...my phone's first and foremost job is to receive phone calls and text messages whenever they may happen. I use the stock power widget with wifi, bluetooth, GPS, data refresh, and brightness. I keep them all off except as needed. I also added a widget to turn off mobile data; I rarely turn it on, and almost always am plugged in with a car charger when I do. I live, drive, and work way out in the sticks and I think my phone uses a lot of battery just struggling to keep a signal.

4. Dracable

None

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Humboldt County, CA
    Definitely struggling to keep a signal is a battery drain. Keep in mind tho, that widgets r another huge drain of battery, and again, just another "convienience". Best to have as little widgets as possible.

5. roadkill42

roadkill42 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2013
    Male
    kinda jack of trades
    jonesbough tn
    devine who is ur carrier?

6. Dracable

None

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Humboldt County, CA
    If he is running a venture, he is on virgin mobile. these phones are available on the u.s. Cellular network too, but it was rebranded as the alcatel one touch premere/ot909b. The venture is exclusive to virgin mobile tho :)

7. roadkill42

roadkill42 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2013
    Male
    kinda jack of trades
    jonesbough tn
  8. divinebovine

None

Aug 30, 2012
    Yup, Virgin Mobile.

I used to have zero widgets, but now I have the stock power widget, the data widget, and a small timer widget that I believe is well-behaved. The widgets have not reduced my battery time (and the power/data widgets have immensely helped by making it convenient for me to turn everything off and only on when necessary).

9. Dracable

None

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Humboldt County, CA
    I understand that, but what i was trying to say is that turning that stuff off/on manually without having the widget active should give u a little better battery than using the widget to do it all. The battery life is soooo bad on the venture, u really gotta try hard to squeeze every bit of life out of it that u can. LoL! Personally, i always carried around an xtra charged battery with me at all times, just in case. Im loving not having to do that anymore with my new phone. :) i get to leave on sync now, have all the widgets i want, etc... And i dont gotta worry. The charge lasts me all day even under heavy usage :)

10. divinebovine

None

Aug 30, 2012
    I'm not sure about those widgets. Like I say, I don't think they cost me any power, and even if they do I think it's less than the power needed to keep the screen alive while I dig around in the settings menu...that mobile data toggle is like 3 or 4 menus deep.

I carry an extra battery too, but I try to avoid using it.