1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Underground Dog Fence Effectivity

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by technologytalk, Jul 7, 2017.

1. technologytalk

I am planning to purchase an underground dog fence that I found online but I wonder whether it is a great and useful device to set a boundary for my pet. Also, which brand do you highly recommend, Innotek or PetSafe?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Sorry, just saw this.

I'm against them in all forms. First, depending on the pet, it can be bordering on cruelty. Second it doesn't prevent anyone or anything getting in. Finally, if you have a determined animal, it won't stop them anyway.

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Agree. I have a beagle and when her nose catches a scent she goes, and no commands from me or canine common sense will stop her.
    Related to point one, but I have coyotes, rabbits, fisher cats, and the nemesis of dogs everywhere, squirrels. Having the ability to freely enter and exit the defined area could turn into both a physical torture and a mental torture for my dog as the animals could essentially taunt her at the line.
    See my first response. Although for beagle I would change determined to stoopid, or more generously one track mind when they catch a curious scent.

4. technologytalk

Thank you all for your insights, I guess I would have to keep an eye on my dog then instead of considering this product.

Mikestony and Unforgiven like this.
  5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

The other thing I've seen is that besides all the protests and explanations and defenses for such devices, they flat out don't work very well.

The practice is that you bury the wire and then for the first few weeks, you have little flags in your yard where the wire is buried so that the dog knows where it is. The wire emits a low RF signal that triggers the collar if it gets near and at first it vibrates. Then when it get's within inches it shocks. The dog learns that the vibration is a warning and remembers the coming shock so it avoids the flags.

After a few weeks you remove the flags and the dog still knows the boundary. Usually, at some point, the collar is no longer necessary either.

The thing is, that with most dogs (except a few breeds and the really stupid dogs ;) ) that if you worked with them for a few weeks just by walking the edge of the property -- first on a lead, and then without one -- they'd learn the boundary anyway and respect it (for the most part).

I've had dogs for over 30 years, and more than one for 25 (currently have three) and if you have any risk of harm to the dog or others nearby, the only option you should consider is a physical barrier, aka fence.

6. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Speaking of dog collars that shock, I used one for a dog I had to control his incessant barking. I would give him a little jolt with a remote when he would bark at the wind etc.

All was fine and dandy until one day he started acting very, very odd and jerky...as if he was getting shocked. Turns out the collar either got a stray signal, or malfunctioned but it was constantly zapping him.

Of course I immediately took it off of him, hugged him to death and apologized to him in doggie language how sorry I was and I would never, ever do that again :( It still pains me to think of that moment :( Gosh, I would never subject a dog to that again. Hindsight is 20/20

So, I guess my answer to the whole invisible fence thing is, don't do it please. Try to train him or something, but the shock collar bit----I don't like it ;)

olbriar, lunatic59 and Unforgiven like this.
  7. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Speaking of which, perhaps (if it even exists) a long bungee type rope tied to a stake in the yard? The theory being, if the dog runs after something, the bungee will gradually slow him down instead of grinding him to a dead stop.

lunatic59 and Unforgiven like this.
  8. olbriar

olbriar  

That reminds me of a story.... A friend of mine kept his Lab on a long chain lead that he attached to his clothes line. The dog had pretty much access to the entire back yard and dog house. After a storm he noticed that poor Winchester had all of his hair burnt off. Needless to say, he never restrained his dog in that fashion again and the dog developed a deathly fear of lightening.

Unforgiven, Mikestony and lunatic59 like this.
  9. loonycgb2

loonycgb2 Android Enthusiast

Those products only work for small breeds.

I am a frequent pitbull owner, just about every one will ignore shocks, tear wire, pull hooks out of the ground, or choke to death from chains.

Only real solution was concrete pad with 4 large corner poles cemented down amd chain link fencing all around.. let them out when you are around.

Also i live in the country, where all of us have acres so it helps with coyotes, skunks, possums, and deer.

Unforgiven, olbriar and Mikestony like this.