1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Understanding Certificates: for Android Publishers

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by StevenHu, Aug 29, 2011.

1. StevenHu

StevenHu Member

I want to make sure that my upgrade app has the same certificates as the previous version so that it'll be a free upgrade version for those who bought the earlier version. [This page explains about the steps to signing your apk: http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/app-signing.html]

I am using Eclipse, which compiles and signs the apk for me. As I create a signed apk, it involves creating a Keystore with alias name, password, validity, etc. Then the dialog box titled, "Destination and key/certificate checks" asks for a destination and name for the apk file, and that's it. I am left with a keystore file and apk file.

Question:
    When I make my upgrade version, exactly what needs to be the same to qualify as a new version in Android Market Publish? I know the com.companyname.appname needs to be the same. Does the Keystore alias name, password, validity, etc., need to be identical?

It seems that with this above process, I'm only creating a keystore file and not necessarily two certificates. Is this all that's necessary if I'm using Eclipse? The app signing page seems to indicate so. I don't see any place where I am creating a private key.

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. miXer

miXer Android Enthusiast

Lets say you have published an app called Foo with versionName 1.0.
    Now you want to update Foo to 1.1 in the market.
    All you have to do, is increment the versionName to 1.1 and the keystore used MUST be the same keystore used in version 1.0.