1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Understanding dBm and ASU

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by meridius, Feb 3, 2019.

1. meridius

meridius Member

My understanding is that the higher your phone signals dBm (decibel-milliwatts) are i.e. closer to zero the better. Also that if your ASU (Arbitrary Strength Unit) is higher the better and that both these measurements of phone signal strength are more accurate than the signal bars on your phone. Is this correct?

I am doing some testing trying to compare LTE to 3G on my phone.

With LTE selected I get -108 dBm and 32 ASU (Network setting: LTE/WCDMA/GSM)
    With HSDPA selected I get -87 dBm and 13 ASU (Network setting: WCDMA/GSM)

What I thought was that a higher (i.e. closer to zero) dBm would result in a higher ASU but the above figures do not confirm this.

The phone signals in my area are generally not wonderful and you should be on 3G and not GSM to properly receive phone calls in most areas.

Ultimately I am trying to figure out whether having a weak LTE is better than a strong 3G especially for VoIP calls. Also my understanding is that if you are using LTE or 3G for mobile data, if you make a phone call it will automatically be on GSM. Is this correct?

#1 meridius, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

The ASU <-> dBm conversion is different for LTE Vs 2G/3G. So a dBm value that would count as a weak signal for the latter may be a good one for LTE.

They aren't called "arbitrary signal units" for nothing.

3. meridius

meridius Member

4. marciaalsk

marciaalsk Lurker

Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime Forum

The Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime release date was October 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 7570 Quad processor, and 2400mAh battery.

October 2016
Release Date
Reviews