1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

understanding of flashing rom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by macani, Feb 2, 2011.

1. macani

macani Newbie

I want to flash Azrael 4.0 to my evo. I want to make sure that I understand all steps before flashing.

I already have rooted my evo, did nand backup , installed titanium backup and backed up my apps , what's next?

- Reboot into recovery , wipe data , cache, Dalvik, SD EXT. DO It twice
    - install the ROM from SD card , let it install and boot
    - how do I restore my apps? Is titanium going to be there when I install the ROM?

Do I need with Radios? Anything else ?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

1) Go to menu->settings->about phone->Software information. What do you see for your current radio and PRI versions? If they don't match the latest from here:

[ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers

Then you must flash the new radios. See the Rooting for Dummies guide - section 6 under after rooting for instructions on how to flash the combo update.

2) If you do need to flash the radios, combine it with flashing the new ROM (Azrael in your case). If not, then just skip the radio part. You've already made the appropriate backups, so to flash the ROM, just reboot into recovery, and wipe data, cache, and dalvik. Do you have an ext partition on your card? If you do, wipe it. If not, there's nothing to wipe. Some people say to wipe 2 or 3 times. You can if you like.

3) You've got that step right. Just flash the ROM.

4) Once you boot up, it depends entirely on whether or not the dev included titanium backup. I haven't checked for Azrael, but if it's not there, go download it from the market. Once that is done, you can start restoring. I highly recommend that you restore only the apps you know you need, and restore app data only when necessary. To avoid any conflicts, you should also change your settings manually rather than restore them with titanium backup. Yes, it takes longer, but you'll save yourself from potential headaches.

macani and carpentone like this.
  3. Muellersirch

Muellersirch Newbie

Another option to make sure that you have titanium installed is to create a flashable zip from within titanium. It isn't as hard as you think, Titanium does most of the work for you. If you want to sign the zip (makes it easier to flash), download Zip Signer (by Ken Ellinwood) from the market.

In Titanium, Menu > More > create Update.zip. Select the options you want and hit create. Then you just flash it after you flash the rom, using the same process.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. macani

macani Newbie

Looks like everything is up to date

What kind of settings are you talking about?

How do I install a theme? same as flashing the ROM?

5. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

I just mean all your system settings. Titanium backup gives you the option to backup apps (plus app data) and system settings. System settings would be things you change in menu->settings, for example. It's better if you change all that manually after you flash a ROM.

Flashing a theme is about the same. The only difference is that you don't need to wipe data. Still wipe cache and dalvik, though. Also, make sure the theme you are flashing is compatible with your ROM. Most Sense ROMs are compatible with most Sense themes, but make sure first. Some themes might include mods that aren't supported by you current ROM and vice versa.

EDIT: I edited the above where I said to wipe cache and data when flashing a theme. I meant to type wipe cache and dalvik. Thanks to JB in AZ for pointing that out.

6. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

No worries, just happened to catch it. :) Reading, reading, reading....That is the key to understanding!

Must mean it's working...I am getting more used to the procedures on the EVO...They are similar, yet just a little different from the procedures on the Hero, that I am more familiar with.

But I will still look to you, akazabam, for guidence. :cool: So again, thanks for everything you do here!

7. macani

macani Newbie

Ok, flashed the ROM and Theme, everything seems to be working fine, but my contacts that are linked to facebook, their images are not showing, any ideas?

8. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Haha, well thanks for keeping me in check :p. Sounds like you're picking up everything very quickly :).

You flashed Azrael, right? I assume you logged in to facebook via Facebook for HTC Sense? Go to menu->settings->accounts & sync. Then select Faceboot for HTC Sense. Do you have the option for "sync contacts" checked? If not, select it. After you've checked it if you needed to, select the option to sync now. See if that fixes it.

9. macani

macani Newbie

I already did that. My contacts are linked with Facebook contacts , most of them are not showing picture , but some are .

10. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Have you tried just rebooting the phone? Sometimes that helps when nothing else does.

11. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert

+1

12. macani

macani Newbie

Should of known, :) easiest thing sometimes fixes things

Thanks

13. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Lol, No problem :). Don't worry, the easiest thing isn't always the most obvious.

14. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User

^ it also takes a good bit of time depending on the number of contacts. It has to download all of those pictures :)

15. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

So true, and as a side note, may explain why many people's first reaction to a new ROM is that is seems "sluggish". We may want to think about explainng this more in the stickies and guides. :)

16. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Yes, that's true. Typically, if it shows that it's syncing, that'll definitely be an issue. It shouldn't take *that* long though (unless you have hundreds of contacts).

17. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User

I would say that typically after a fresh start it takes about 30-45 minutes for everything to settle down. Calendar Facebook Contacts etc. This is all going to be dependent on connection of course. Doing it while a wifi connection is available is really going to make things faster.

18. macani

macani Newbie

I want to clean some space on my SD card. I came across 3 backups.2 are from clockworkmod and 1 ra , can I delete the 2 from clockworkmod recoveries ?

When buying a new SD card , could I just copy everything from old to new ?

19. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

If you never intend on flashing clockwork back and restoring those nandroid backups, then feel free to delete them. It won't harm anything; you just will never be able to restore them again (obviously).

Yes, when you buy a new card, just copy everything from the old card to the new one. It's up to you how you want to do that, but the easiest thing to do is to put the new card in the phone, put the old card in a card reader, connect the phone to the computer via usb, then copy from the old card to the new one.

macani likes this.
  20. macani

macani Newbie

Just got my new SD card, Do i need to do anything to it like formatting or anything? before I copy the old to new

21. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Well, it *should* already be formatted. If you're going to use a2sd, then you'd want to put an ext partition on it, first, in recovery. If you're not going to do that, just put the card in, boot up, and verify you can access the card, and read/write data to it. Then just copy your stuff over. Like I said, though, you're going to use a2sd, partition it in recovery, first, as that will wipe the card.

macani likes this.
  22. macani

macani Newbie

Ok, It's time to unroot. I need my speaker replaced and power button checked out .

I backed up all my apps and data. I still have the stock ROM backup on SD card. Do I just flash the stock , how do I remove the root so the Sprint rep can't see that my EVO was rooted.

23. macani

macani Newbie

Never mind, found the process for unrooting. Will I be able to restore my backed up apps when I unroot?

24. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

titanium will work only on rooted phones. app list backup is probably a better option if you are going to keep it unrooted. if you re-root you can use titanium to restore.

macani likes this.
  25. macani

macani Newbie

I will go back to root after finished with Sprint.

Can I flash my stock backed up ROM , then only unroot ?

Is there going to be any evidence on SD card of being rooted ?

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews