1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Undervolt/VSEL Question..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RWil85, May 21, 2011.

1. RWil85

RWil85 Well-Known Member

Guys,

I've had Droid Overclock running for quite some time on whatever the preset values are for the Low Voltage setting..

I'd like to tap out as much battery life as I can from this thing - therefore,
    I'd like to dabble with manually setting some lower VSELS..

I know Quickclock Advanced will automatically determine what VSELS are the lowest/safest..do i need to uninstall droid overclock before I install quickclock advanced to use the calibrating tool? or can i just install/run QC Adv. to get my phone's values, and then paste them into Droid Overclock?

Any suggestions?

thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

You don't have to uninstall Droid Overclock to use Quickclock. You do however need to make sure Droid Overclock is set to system default first. You can't have two O/C apps trying to O/C your phone at the same time. It will cause problems.

Run Quickclock to determine your highest speed and lowest voltage and write those numbers down. Set Quickclock back to default system settings. Then take those numbers and put them into Droid Overclock and apply them.

Don't have them apply the settings at boot till you know your phone is running stable. Play some games, browse the net, run some apps. When you are sure your phone is stable then you can apply the settings at boot.

Once all this is done you can then go in and play with the settings. If your happy with the overclock just drop your voltages in increments of 1 till you hit an unstable point. Then put that voltage setting back up by 1 to the stable point.

If you're trying to get as much battery life as possible then use the balanced, or even lower, the battery saving preset Quickclock gives you. Write those numbers down too and you can use all of them as presets in Droid Overclock.

Tinkering with the numbers is the only way to really find the best numbers for your phone. Just take them down in 1 increment at a time. Then write down the lowest stable numbers for your phone and apply them. I think Droid Overclock is better in the fact that you have more options for creating profiles.

3. RWil85

RWil85 Well-Known Member

thanks a lot for the detailed writeup..

ive been using droid OC for quite some time..have it oc'ed to:

400MHz 33V

800MHz 51V

1000MHz 60V

1300MHz 79V

which are the standard presets for the 'Low Voltage' setting in Droid OC..i've had that set at boot for a while and have had zero issues..i don't know if i can even OC it much higher - but, i'm pretty sure i can undervolt it a little more with hopes of saving battery..thoughts?

4. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

My settings are,

375@20
    751@35
    1001@50
    1251@61

I can probably drop. Those last two vsels a tiny bit more but I'm comfortable with these settings for now, till I get bored....lol.

So yeah, you can drop those vsels more. Just do it slowly and keep track of your stability. All this overclocking stuff was german to me when I first got my phone.

Thanks to the great people here, I have come up in the world of droid. It will only get easier as you keep at it and learning....:)

5. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

honestly...the easiest way to save some battery is to scale back on the lower clock speeds...the 800mhz and 1000mhz speeds in the 2nd and third slots would be what is doing it...

even the 400mhz speed..if you download CPU Spy from the market it will show you how often your phone is running at the specific clock speeds...most of your time is going to actually be spent on the lowest clock speed...so its a catch 22 really...if your lowest speed is higher...you will get better performance the majority of the time...but you're ALWAYS going to be using more juice than you could be...

IMO..the best way to see if you can go lower on your voltages is to run the quickclock calibration...see how low your phone can go before it shuts off...

plug your clock speeds (400, 800, 1000, 1300) into quick clock and let it calibrate...then you can either lower the 15% safe guard a couple ticks (my phone runs fine if i lower it to 13%)...and just drop them one at a time and run it for awhile and see how it goes...

but frankly...if you're looking to save battery...a couple volts here and there are not gonna get you what you're looking for...or anything noticeable to say the least...you're gonna have to lower the clock speeds...

6. sonofaresiii

sonofaresiii Android Enthusiast

quickclock's auto-calibration is a good feature and a nice starting place, but i've found it's rarely as accurate as it can be. best to take the numbers it gives you and start changing from there, testing it to see how low you can ACTUALLY go.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews