• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Undervolted Kernel Discussion

mdubs

Apr 1, 2010
Ok, we hijacked the Underclocked thread with a kernel discussion so I figured I would start a separate thread to keep that one on the OP's original topic if it hasn't been answered with finality.

Here's the Underclocked thread: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-nexus/63493-underclock-nexus-one.html

Now, all battery life reviews and results are going to be subjective. We will all have different usage patterns, SetCPU profiles and blah blah blah.

Let's throw out general impressions of these kernels and brief summaries of some of the particulars of our settings and such that will have a large effect on battery life in general.

I was trying out the PsyQ 925 mV SVS kernel on Cyan 5.0.5.3 for just over a day when Cyan 5.0.6 was released and I have since switched to that with the standard (for the mod) kernel.

Before I switched to the new mod, I wasn't terribly impressed with the kernel. This is not a knock on the kernel and certainly not on the gent that did the hard work in developing it. There are several more aggressive kernels in his thread (sorry I don't have the link right now) that I did not try since I was new to flashing kernels to the phone.

As far as usage and settings:
I have what I would consider to be "normal" usage tendencies. Checking FB, a lot of Google Chat, a few voice calls, emails and finally some game play that is a bit heavily localized around lunch time.

The settings that I believe would impact battery life would be all animations set to fancy and fast via Spare Parts, no overclocking at all, processor restricted to 384 MHz while phone is sleeping, processor profiles ramped down from 998 MHz to 768 MHz at 50% battery and more from there, no GPS/Wifi/BT and screen brightness usually at 100%.

So there's my initial offering. Some of you cats are well ahead of curve and more adventurous with kernel testing. Lay it out here and we will see if any of the OC'ed/UV'ed kernels come out on top.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones