• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"unexpected account registration error" in Google Hangouts phone calls

The Google Hangouts "unexpected account registration error" has been covered in many ways in many forums and I have gone as far as to do a complete wipe to factory reset spec before adding the various things I previously had.

I have a Samsung J1 (SMJ-100MU, specifically), a Bahamas Telephone originally, now unlocked and running T-Mobile (or when I'm in the Bahamas, BTC).

I had this issue once a couple of years ago, in the Bahamas and the factory reset solved it. However, I am now in some sort of Twilight Zone where my carrier number (which I never use; the reason for my using Hangouts is that Google Voice has the same number as I used for 40 years before going mobile) sometimes receives calls (I have my GV set up so that calls are forwarded to the mobile in case I'm somewhere without good data connectivity), and while I can MAKE calls on the mobile number, I cannot make or receive calls via Hangouts/Google Voice any more.

So, as it may be specific to how the J1 has the stuff organized, and I cannot get to some of the features mentioned in other solutions, can anyone here give me step-by-step remediation for this issue? FWIW, I also use the microphone/voice transcription for my texting, as my hands are WAY too big for accurate typing; so far my resuscitation efforts have not restored the microphone feature (Hangouts Keyboard, I think? - I have not yet added that back, as I want to deal with one problem at a time.

Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones