1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Unexpected Data Usage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fj64, Sep 25, 2011.

1. fj64

fj64 Lurker
    None

Sep 25, 2011
    I started using my revolution about 24 hours ago. I left it alone for most of the day, and then this morning around 6 am I began to play around with it. I did the following:

Updated the firmware
    Updated a few apps that came preinstalled
    Installed the speedtest app, and ran a few tests inside and outside
    Watched Tangled (a 1.5 hour movie) on Netflix - the movie is only available in SD

I called #DATA to see how much I had used, and apparently I have burned through ~2.75 gigs.

I began to suspect that some application that syncs was malfunctioning and using up more data than it should, so I left auto-sync on for several more hours and checked to see if my data usage had increased. Nope, still ~2.75 gigs. So if there had been an issue of that nature, it certainly hadn't been active during those additional hours.

I've done bandwidth monitoring in the past on my desktop computer (after Comcast throttled my cable connection), and I've found that a Netflix SD movie of this length is 500mb at highest quality. In fact, Tangled is an animated movie, and (again, in my experience) animated films tend to compress to smaller file sizes.

I'm not going to contest the $10 overage I'll have to pay, but I want to figure out what's up so that next month I can actually use my data plan for more than one day.

Also, this may be related - I actually received the device over a week ago, but the phone could not activate itself. The account holder was unreachable during this time, so I routinely told my phone to try again to activate itself (I was pretty anxious to get my phone working). So for a week, I initiated several activation attempts per day, each of which went on for quite a while before my phone announced failure. Was data being used then?

Advertisement

2. pawdog

pawdog Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Tangled ate your data. I would bet that movie ate over 1GB of your allotment. Regardless of the marketing Verizon has no intention of people getting any real value out of these data plans 4G or otherwise. 30 bucks per month for 2GB is simply a monthly payment for the hardware.

Unless you can afford the 10GB per month plan I suggest people consider these smartphones as wifi devices. I keep my data off until needed.Triples the battery life that way.

3. pirahna

pirahna Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    I listen to either pandora or sirius/xm all day long at work as well as always having 4g running in the back ground and occasionally watching a show or movie on HBO Go and never have gone over 6gb/month. That sounds like something is wrong to me, I see no way you could use that much that fast.

4. rockandrollac

rockandrollac Member
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    Male
    This weird. I was told with Rev and other smart phones you had to have the full package. I tried to lower my daughters so the bill would be cheaper, no go....I tell Yea