1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unexpected speaker noise

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by stanan, Jul 27, 2017.

1. stanan

stanan Newbie

My phone (Moto G 3) emits a loud short static/crackle noise, sporadically and unexpectedly. It usually happens when I've been listening to podcasts for a few hours. The noise is less than a second but is quite loud.  After the first noise, there may be more 15 to 30 seconds later.  The noise happens even if I pause the podcast.  I have heard it while using a bluetooth earpiece, bluetooth in the car, and directly through the phone speaker. I have heard it while playing a podcast and a music app.
    I have tried a factory reset.

I suspect it is a hardware problem, maybe a bad speaker connection.  I not under warranty.
    Has anyone else had this experience or any idea what it might be?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. stanan

stanan Newbie

After no issues for 4 days, the noise came back. I tried stopping some audio related services: podcast app, music app, Android auto. It did not help. The noise stops after restarting the phone, but eventually comes back. Sometimes after several hours, sometimes after days.

3. Daniel Fernandes

Daniel Fernandes Android Enthusiast

Perhaps your phone just needs a break after playing podcasts for hours...?

4. stanan

stanan Newbie

I seem to have found the solution. Settings - Apps - Chrome - Permissions and turn off the location permission. Strange. I guess Chrome was pinging for the location and causing the staticy noise.