1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unfortunately Android system has stopped working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nAtEe0323, Apr 22, 2019.

1. nAtEe0323

nAtEe0323 Lurker

I have a s7 edge works fine, except now i cant share a pic from my gallery. Comes up with a error message unfortunately android system has stopped working and goes back to home screen.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Does this only happen when sharing a photo from the gallery app? I would try the following:

Go to settings>apps>gallery and clear the cache.
    Reboot your phone
    Try a different photo viewer like Google Photos.

If it still doesn't work, you may need to factory reset.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. nAtEe0323

nAtEe0323 Lurker

Yeah i have gone through and cleared cache, made sure everything i can move to sd card was moved

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. nAtEe0323

nAtEe0323 Lurker

I can share a pic through Facebook just not from gallery

5. lunatic59

Try booting into recovery and clearing the system cache.

I think it's (from a powered off state) home+volume up+power. Make sure you select "Wipe system cache" and NOT "Wipe data".

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. nAtEe0323

nAtEe0323 Lurker

Ok ill try that thanks, hey side note my phone is still on 6.0.1 and my security patch is from Sept 2016 sound right?

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. lunatic59

That's rather outdated. It should still work, but is there a reason you haven't updated? Currently the S7 Edge is on Android 8.0 (My wife has one).

ocnbrze and mikedt like this.
  8. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Yeh, Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge should be on 8.0 with 1 March 2019 Android security patch. I have a Galaxy S7.

If it's not receiving OTA updates, try doing it with Smart Switch on a computer.

Is the problem phone been rooted or modified at all? What does the Knox and Warranty counters show?

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. nAtEe0323

nAtEe0323 Lurker

Stock phone has not been rooted or modified knox 2.6 where do i find the warranty counter?

10. nAtEe0323

nAtEe0323 Lurker

Ive checked the updates and it says its up to date lol

11. nAtEe0323

nAtEe0323 Lurker

No its not rooted or updated. Knox is 2.6 where do i find the warranty counter?

12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Power off your device Hold Power Button + Home Button + Volume Down Button You should see Warning!! Text on your screen. At the top right hand side corner, you should see some text, you can recognize Knox as Knox Warranty Void: 0x0 (Which indicates your warranty is not void, and 0x1 for void warranty)

ocnbrze and lunatic59 like this.
  13. lunatic59

Who's your carrier and where did you get the phone? If you are using a carrier branded phone an any other carrier than the original, you probably won't get system updates. You may have to do it manually.

14. nAtEe0323

nAtEe0323 Lurker

Its a verizon phone on straight talk

15. lunatic59

There you go, that's why you don't see any updates. You might want to connect it up to Smart Switch and see if you can update it that way. You'll probably have to update it to 7 first and then to 8. And, because it's such a jump in versions, you'll probably need to factory reset it afterwards. If it were me, I'd back everything up (which it should be anyway) and then use smart switch emergency recovery to flash the latest factory firmware. You'll cut out a lot of steps and avoid a lot of problems. The only thing is that if you forgot something to backup, it will be wiped.

ocnbrze likes this.
  16. nAtEe0323

nAtEe0323 Lurker

So just download smart switch on the desktop plug into computer and update to 8.0? Never done anything like this on a phone. Whats weird is my wife has a note9 and its a verizon phone on straight talk and it updated?

17. lunatic59

Theoretically, yes. Ideally, sure. Real world? How clean a life have you lived so far? ;)

So you can run into a couple of problems. First could be that the phone isn't recognized by smart switch. This is especially true if you've got old drivers lurking around on your PC that will conflict with the newer smart switch drivers. Next comes the problem of smart switch not being able to identify the phone. Most of the time it will know, but sometimes it has trouble and you'll need to enter the serial number and IMEI.

Finally, because it's a Verizon phone, it's going to use Verizon firmware which might restore the carrier lock. Now, this shouldn't be a problem if you are the original owner, but if you bought the phone from the original owner, you may not be able to get an unlock code again. Just to be safe I'd remove the straight talk SIM card, too.

Before you do ANYTHING please make sure any data you don't want to risk losing is backed up. A lot of people assume texts are backed up somewhere, but generally they are not. Email may or may not be depending on the type and provider of the account. Photos and media you can back up to Google and they will be safe, as will your contacts and calendar events AS LONG AS you have your account set to sync.

nAtEe0323 and ocnbrze like this.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge release date was March 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 820 processor, and 3600mAh battery.

March 2016
Release Date
Reviews