• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unfortunately, com.sec.imsservice has stopped.

From some quick Googling it sounds like (a) a lot of S5 users are getting that error after upgrading to Lollipop and (b) it seems to be an application incompatibility.

Have any of you tried booting into Safe Mode? That will temporarily disable any third-party applications, which should alleviate the issue (or help you figure out if it's something pre-installed or something you downloaded).

What do the battery usage statistics look like? Is there a particular app that is claiming a significant amount of power? That *could* provide a clue to the culprit.

PS: I'm going move this thread to the S5 forum to see if any other users can chime in with ideas. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
In safe mode the message didn't pop up.

I uninstalled the Go Launcher app and reinstalled it. The message has now stopped appearing. My launcher settings are all gone, so I have to start all over with that - just like getting a new phone.
So far, it sounds like these are the potential culprits:
- Facebook
- Facebook Messenger
- Go Launcher
- Thinkfree Document Viewer

I don't know if the apps are specifically to blame or if it could be application data that got corrupted during the upgrade. Keep posting back as more issues are tracked down so we can maybe discover the rhyme and/or reason. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got AT&T's update, which is just an update to 4.4.4, not 5, and I have this error now. I tried a factory reset and I still get this error every 5 - 10 seconds.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to go from here?

A Factory Data Reset solved the problem for zmzmzmzzm, above.

Had The Same Problem. Factory Reset Fix it For Me just remember to back up everything first, Running like a Champ!

Upvote 0
Also Try wiping your Cache
I'm pretty sure I did that as well, but to be sure I rebooted to the recovery menu, wiped the cache, performed a factory reset, then wiped the cache again just for good measure.

When the phone restarts the first screen that comes up is a prompt to connect to a WiFi network. Before I can enter the password I get the error.

Upvote 0
My problem was not related to any particular app. After working with AT&T Support they said they thought my operating system was corrupt and recommend taking the phone to Best Buy to have it flashed. They flashed it back to Android 4.4.2 and it seems fine now. I checked for software updates and there isn't one available any more so I don't know if AT&T pulled the 4.4.4 update or if I should have not been offered the update to begin with.

The lesson I took from this was to approach Android updates with great caution. From what I have read it is best to follow this process when updating Android:
1. Backup everything on your phone.
2. Perform a factory reset on the phone.
3. Perform the update from a PC rather than Over The Air (OTA).

I'll probably wait until 5.1 is available to try this again :)

Reactions: Gettnbusy
Upvote 0
My problem was not related to any particular app. After working with AT&T Support they said they thought my operating system was corrupt and recommend taking the phone to Best Buy to have it flashed. They flashed it back to Android 4.4.2 and it seems fine now. I checked for software updates and there isn't one available any more so I don't know if AT&T pulled the 4.4.4 update or if I should have not been offered the update to begin with.

The lesson I took from this was to approach Android updates with great caution. From what I have read it is best to follow this process when updating Android:
1. Backup everything on your phone.
2. Perform a factory reset on the phone.
3. Perform the update from a PC rather than Over The Air (OTA).

I'll probably wait until 5.1 is available to try this again :)

And you are quite correct to do so. Verizon has totally destroyed the Galaxy S5 IMO with their release of Lollipop. I have in past always waited to see how new releases jell out before I allow them to take place.

Seeing the 100s, if not 1,000s of complaints about Lollipop has caused me to turn OFF the Updater files/apps on my S5 which so far, knocking on wood, stopped the update process for my phone. I have Kies 3.0 backing up my phone to its' current 4.4.4 status as I type this.

I noted that as far as Samsung is concerned, 4.4.4 NK2 is still the latest released version of my phone. that alone tells me that Samsung is not going to "certify" Verizon's version of 5.0

My wife also has a S5, and we just don't need the hassles of a rogue phone spoiling our retirement lives.
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Reactions: Gettnbusy
Upvote 0
Is anyone else having the issue, Unfortunately, com.sec.imsservice has stopped., after Lollipop update on Galaxy S5?
I had the same problem. To fix it simply go to Settings > Applications > Application Manager > All Applications and then clearing the caches first for Contacts and then com.sec.imsservice. I found it much easier to do by first booting the phone in Safe Mode. This will keep you from continuously being interrupted from the alert message. To boot in Safe Mode turn the phone off, then turn the phone back on. When the Samsung logo appears during the booting process, hold the volume down button until the phone boots up. You should notice Safe Mode at the bottom of the screen. When your done, restart your phone to exit Safe Mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones