• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unified Inbox App? (SOLUTION)

One way of doing it is to set up gmail to retrieve all of your emails from your other accounts via POP3. (You could instead have your other accounts forward to gmail, which would be instantaneous, unlike POP3).

Then you can set up gmail to send emails via your other email addresses too, in such a way that the recipient can't tell the difference. That basically allows you to use up to 5 email accounts all from gmail.

It works perfectly from the gmail app as well as the web interface.

Upvote 0
One way of doing it is to set up gmail to retrieve all of your emails from your other accounts via POP3. (You could instead have your other accounts forward to gmail, which would be instantaneous, unlike POP3).

Then you can set up gmail to send emails via your other email addresses too, in such a way that the recipient can't tell the difference. That basically allows you to use up to 5 email accounts all from gmail.

It works perfectly from the gmail app as well as the web interface.

Could you please elaborate with a guide or link to a tutorial for setting up such a service? Basically the sending an email as if from another account part is what's tripping me up.

Upvote 0
I would also like to know this, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the email app that came stock with the Droid or one that's on the Charge. The Droid one puts everything together and color codes them. The Charge one has them all in the same app, and you can just swipe from one account to the other. I've never used another email replacement app, so I'm def curious.

Upvote 0
Could you please elaborate with a guide or link to a tutorial for setting up such a service? Basically the sending an email as if from another account part is what's tripping me up.

- Sign into the gmail webpage.
- Go to your mail settings and then to the 'accounts and import tab'.
- Click the 'send mail from another address' button under 'send mail as'.
- Follow the instructions that pop up in a new window to set it up.

You'll need to have the outgoing mail server (smtp) details for your non-gmail account. That will differ depending on who's providing the email, so you'll have to google that.

Upvote 0
Actually... I found a fantastic app that unifies the inbox. It's called K-9 Mail and it's a free, well-done app:

K-9 Mail
by K-9 Dog Walkers
>250,000 downloads, 30759 ratings (4.3 avg)
Free
rating9.png

Now I just have to figure out if I can change the colors of the different tabs associated with my different accounts because I think Gmail-based accounts use one and Hotmail accounts use another. I have a Gmail and NYU account that both are Google based and appear using the same color scheme in the unified inbox.

Reactions: HotDawg and Mahalo
Upvote 0
ok, so I've played with the stock email client for a couple hours now. I got both accounts to show up in the native email app, but not at the same time.

My old Droid could do a Unified Inbox. I think it was called Combined Inbox.

So nobody can get the stock email app to show both at once?

I tried K9 back on the Droid, and although it was a thousand times more elaborate than the stock Droid email app, it also suck on the batteries. If I enabled IMAP push I got like 7 hours of life. Horrible. I stuck it back on IMAP non-IDLE and it went back to around normal ... like 24 hours.

Who has a Unified Inbox with multiple email accounts and what are you using?
K9
Enhanced Email
Kaiten
MailDroid

Upvote 0
I sure do miss this!!

I tried to make the Gmail trick work when I got my OG Droid - I have two AOL accounts (btw, it doesn't work with all accounts) and a Yahoo account - but it was too confusing. If I delete an email here, is it saved there? Will my AOL inboxes have 1500 items in them after a while?

Ugh, I just need to get rid of AOL.

Off to try K9, I've always read good things about it.

Upvote 0
If I delete an email here, is it saved there? Will my AOL inboxes have 1500 items in them after a while?

With the method I described, yeah, emails will just accumulate in your other accounts. Not a problem in my case, but if AOL are stingy with their storage space then it could be a problem for you.

But yeah, K9 is apparently a very good email app.

Upvote 0
Good find! I've now got several email accounts all set up. To change account colors just:
Open app --> press and hold account for which you would like to change the color --> select "account settings" --> select "display" and finally account color.

To change the signature for the accounts so it doesn't say "Please excuse my brevity,..." go:

Press and hold account to change --> Account Settings --> Sending Mail --> Composition defaults --> Edit you signature.

Speaking of signatures, K-9 Mail supports AGP as well for you Encryption/Privacy/Security hounds.

Actually... I found a fantastic app that unifies the inbox. It's called K-9 Mail and it's a free, well-done app:

K-9 Mail
by K-9 Dog Walkers
>250,000 downloads, 30759 ratings (4.3 avg)
Free
rating9.png

Now I just have to figure out if I can change the colors of the different tabs associated with my different accounts because I think Gmail-based accounts use one and Hotmail accounts use another. I have a Gmail and NYU account that both are Google based and appear using the same color scheme in the unified inbox.

Reactions: Vihzel and HotDawg
Upvote 0
Good find! I've now got several email accounts all set up. To change account colors just:
Open app --> press and hold account for which you would like to change the color --> select "account settings" --> select "display" and finally account color.

To change the signature for the accounts so it doesn't say "Please excuse my brevity,..." go:

Press and hold account to change --> Account Settings --> Sending Mail --> Composition defaults --> Edit you signature.

AWESOME tips! It working great now - those were two minor issues I had.

(Nice avatar, too, Mr. Dobbs)

Upvote 0
I was looking for something just like this! Downloaded it....and found that it works like a dream! It works with not only Gmail, and Yahoo Accounts, but it will also work with IMAP Configuration. Exactly what I needed to combat having to click on more than one icon to read multiple email accounts. Thanks for posting!

Upvote 0
You do not need any additional apps to be downloaded to do this. The default Gmail app on android phone itself can be configured to do this.

-Thanks
Shree

Yeah.. maybe so.. but if the others are like me I don't want my other email littering my gmail, and I'd like to SEND from the email address.. so yeah.. the import pop3 into your gmail inbox is not an option.. the HTC Vivid stock email is usable, K-9 howeve is pretty nice..

Upvote 0
Yeah.. maybe so.. but if the others are like me I don't want my other email littering my gmail, and I'd like to SEND from the email address.. so yeah.. the import pop3 into your gmail inbox is not an option.. the HTC Vivid stock email is usable, K-9 howeve is pretty nice..

Unfortunately there's no getting round wanting to keep your emails separate if you used gmail, but to clarify, you can actually use gmail to send via up to five other email addresses.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately there's no getting round wanting to keep your emails separate if you used gmail...

Actually, you can. When you pop mail from other sources, you can do something like put them in a Gmail label named after the email address, so it's quite easy to segregate them by email account, as well as gather them together in a single mailbox (the "All mail" mailbox, if you want to use the Gmail inbox for gmail only - in that case you would put the "foreign" mail in a label of its own and archive it automatically on reception.)

That said, I'd still suggest K9 for something like this - one other issue with popping accounts in gmail is that gmail looks for mail on its own schedule, which can be as long as once an hour - so your mailbox may not be timely, or as timely as it can be with K9.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones