• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Uninstall Gmail built in browser

Gmail can only be accessed by the application itself, or a web browser, such as Chrome, Firefox, or the installed browser that came with the phone. Gmail does not have its own browser. If you want to disable web links......
https://www.dignited.com/47238/how-to-disable-in-app-browser-on-major-apps/
Thanks

Let me explain better what I'm trying to do, I want to have the Gmail app but if there is a link in the email it should not be able to open itself up in Gmail's built-in browser sojust disabling the setting is not an option cuz you could enable it back so my question is, is it possible to uninstall the browser that comes built in with Gmail and therefore I won't be able to open the link. (I have no other browser installed that the link should be able to open).

Thanks

Upvote 0
It's not a browser built into Gmail. Most likely it's a system component called "android system webview". You might be able to disable that, but you will not be able to uninstall it unless the device is rooted (and if the kid knows what they are doing giving them a rooted device would be giving them the ability to undo anything you have done). I don't know whether it will even let you disable this though: on my device disabling webview enables Chrome (also built-in and not removable) - yours may be different.

(If there were a browser built into Gmail you would definitely not be able to remove it without separately from the Gmail app itself).

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
It's not a browser built into Gmail. Most likely it's a system component called "android system webview". You might be able to disable that, but you will not be able to uninstall it unless the device is rooted (and if the kid knows what they are doing giving them a rooted device would be giving them the ability to undo anything you have done). I don't know whether it will even let you disable this though: on my device disabling webview enables Chrome (also built-in and not removable) - yours may be different.

(If there were a browser built into Gmail you would definitely not be able to remove it without separately from the Gmail app itself).
Thanks!!!
I probably can uninstall it cause my device is rooted and therefore i can uninstall chrome also.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
This does sound like Webview, however I would not recommend disabling it - certainly not uninstalling it! This component has become quite intergrated within android allowing web base data to be presented within an app environment rather than going to a website.

Disabling it will kill apps like Gmail or Google News, pretty much anything that uses it will become either unstable or flat out crash.

I would also like to find a way to disable this webview half arsed browser as I hate it with a fiery passion. I do know that parts of it are ran through chromium or Chrome, so there maybe something there that can be done.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
You can disable it on my Pixel, but then it enables Chrome which does the same job (and looks very similar - the integration is clearly quite tight). Personally I would prefer one of my own browsers to handle its duties, but if the price of disabling Chrome is enabling Webview I'll live with it. You may hate webview, but I've no time at all for Chrome (for the same reason I will never enable WiFi on my Kindle: Google, like Amazon, have no right to know what I'm reading or for how long).

Upvote 0
For me, these windows are either powered by Brave (chromium) or Chrome whether webview is enabled or not. If it is not enabled most apps fall over or crash with no access to this system.

Drives me crazy, when you click on a link say in google news app, you request it opens in a browser, it then goes into this crap system where you yet again have to choose open in browser to actually get it to display in your browser in full!!!!! o_O

Upvote 0
Well we are getting off-topic, but I trialled Google News for a few weeks, at the end of which I had decided that it was some sort of bizzare social or psychological experiment: to release an app which claims to learn your interests but in fact takes no notice of what you read or what you tell it never to show you again. Perhaps the idea was see whether users would give in and conform to what they were told they liked, a sort of gaslighting by algorithm? Or maybe their algorithm just couldn't accept a Brit who isn't interested in football or celebrity gossip and so ignored my instructions to stop showing me that #### (which reliably made up the majority of my "personalised" feed, no matter what I did).

On the plus side, I decided that Google not understanding what interested me might be a good thing ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones