• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Uninstall maps.....

triplecrown

Nov 22, 2009
NJ
Ok so I've got smoked glass 6.0.1 running great on my phone but I'm one of the many that are having problem with google maps. I opted to uninstall after installing the rom but I don't know how to do it. I've searched everywhere and they all say just go to manage apps and uninstall from there. I don't have the option to do it from there!...I then saw that you can try filtering and choosing one of the com.google......things that are listed but I don't have the one for maps. Lastly, I saw somewhere using adb shell does the job but I have NO IDEA how to do that. Any help would be appreciated guys!!!

Ok so I've got smoked glass 6.0.1 running great on my phone but I'm one of the many that are having problem with google maps. I opted to uninstall after installing the rom but I don't know how to do it. I've searched everywhere and they all say just go to manage apps and uninstall from there. I don't have the option to do it from there!...I then saw that you can try filtering and choosing one of the com.google......things that are listed but I don't have the one for maps. Lastly, I saw somewhere using adb shell does the job but I have NO IDEA how to do that. Any help would be appreciated guys!!!

My guess is your rom installed maps as a system program. Here is a thread that should help...

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/52774-remove-installled-apps.html

Reactions: triplecrown
Upvote 0
ChevyNo1 posted a utility he created to fix this very problem. It's as simple as downloading his file, hooking your Droid up to your computer (with the drivers, and usb debugging on) and clicking the .cmd file. I had a problem with not being able to uninstall maps to update, and this fixed it in no time flat.

If You Have a Google Maps Problem - In Here - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

After you do his fix, you can then uninstall maps through settings> applications >manage apps> filter to show all.

Reactions: triplecrown
Upvote 0
Thanks Shadowtech for the reply. I ended up fixing the problem by reflashing the rom and starting all over again and ofcourse following directions from Adamz. I downloaded root explorer and deleted the maps.apk file. (I had to go to system>apps for it.) I then had to reboot my phone for the com.android.google.maps file to show up under manage applications on my phone. (i think thats the right name of it??) I then had to uninstall that file for the actual maps file in settings>manage apps to allow me to uninstall it. From there it was cake by just redownloading maps from the market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones