• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Uninstalled apps. how to delete data?? Kindle??

dannymur

Android Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2011
Ireland's Lake Land
As in the question above, have uninstalled quite a lot of apps I don't use, e.g. Kindle.

I am preparing for GEN1/GEN2 upgrade, and want to also clear unwanted Data from my SD, as it is still the original 2GB I got from Orange.

I have also forced quite a few apps onto the SD, using Mod Install Location, which worked for most apps, including FaceBook!!!

My question is can I delete folders for the uninstalled Apps, e.g. Kindle,

Here is what I see on my SD, Kindle was uninstalled some time ago......don't laff at the Books, just testing :p

2mooxmv.jpg

TIA for any help......

BTW, maybe Shadowninty or any other resident here can just give an update regarding the GEN1/GEN2 upgrade, and use of SS5, i.e. backing up of existing apps, SD Card partitioning, Cache sizes, etc, etc......

gettin kinda complicated for this old head now :eek:

well you can certainly delete any folders left by uninstalled apps without consequence. Haven't tried swedish spring on g2 though so someone else hopefully can comment. I went with the gen2 image + cyanogen mod 7.0.2 update file from the usual places then via rom manager to 7.0.3 when it came out. It was every bit as simple as flashing a rom. Backed up with titanium as usual but although i got all my apps back on restoring i had lost the app data. Not sure if that's a consequence of the upgrade or if i just clicked the wrong restore option this time round.

Reactions: dannymur
Upvote 0
Thank you friend slackereconomy....:) much obliged.

Looks as if SS RLS5 is available as GEN2, so I think it's time to move onwards and upwards.

[ROM] [froyo] Swedish Spring RLS5 [2011-04-19] [OLED+TFT] [Gen1][Gen2] - Android @ MoDaCo

Still a tad nervous about Cyanogen, although I will probably end up there :thinking:

Just on your point regarding losing Data on upgrade, I still have the original SD Card from Orange, which is formatted FAT16, so I have, as an experiment, backed the SD card to my laptop, using this from Market:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.Odroid.ObackupSilver&feature

I decided to reformat the SD card to the more usual FAT32.......

Ohh Ohh

When I restored my SD Back-up to the newly reformatted card, I could not find any of my apps , just remnants, which I had to un-install, and then re-install, so simple backing up, formatting, and restoring did not work as expected.

I did gain a lot of space on the SD card, but it was scary indeed.

see here, from MoDaCo me as IrishPancake:

How To Recover Unused Ext2/3 Partitions - Android @ MoDaCo

Of course, my new 16GB card will be formatted FAT32 already, so there should be no problem......

famous last words??

Thanks again :D

Upvote 0
Upgrading to Gen2 wont wipe SDCard, however the .android_secure folder gets deleted which has the apps

Backup with Titanium, and if going to CM only restore app data

Thank you sn....

I have another query, related to my format of SD card from FAT16->FAT32.

I did this recently, and had backed up the full SD Card Contents to my Laptop, including all hidden, . files and any system files... I thought!!

When I restored, I found that I had to reinstall all the apps that were on the SD card, having first uninstalled the remnants through Settings/Applications/Manage.

I allowed any apps which could be installed to SD to go there, and I also used App2SD with Mod Install Location, to set External as my default location for installing apps.

All is OK, apps are installed on SD, those which can be, and those which won't work are back on phone...

But, I cannot see the apps in the .android_secure folder in /mnt/sdcard.

I can see the xxx.asec files there when connected to my PC.

Having read up a little, it seems that this may be normal, as the Android system tries to ensure "security and no copying of apps".

Explained here much better than I ever could:

[FAQ] Bugless Beast - Pete - AllDroid Public Board

where are the apps stored when i use apps2sd?

4o66 wrote:
Short answer: Each app stored in /mnt/asec/[appname] is actually stored in an individual encrypted virtual device file

Long answer: (you knew it was coming...)

From a terminal program (or adb, I normally just hop into ConnectBot), if you run "mount", you will see a few lines like so:

/dev/block/dm-[number] /mnt/asec/[app name] vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=.....

The main thing to pay attention to here is the first two blocks of text.

The first is WHAT is mounted, the second is WHERE it is mounted TO.

In this case, the device known as /dev/block/dm-[number] is referring to a DM (Device Mapper). In linux, this is normally used for either RAID devices or
encrypted
volumes.

So what is happening is this: To stop the average user from copying and app to sd, then giving it to a friend, they place it in a virtual hard drive, which is encrypted and stored as a file, in a linux partition on the sd card.

Picture like this:

[SD CARD]

[FAT32]

Files you see on the card

[END FAT32]

[EXT4 Linux]

apps2sd files

virtual hard drive file

[DM device (encrypted)]

apk files

[END DM]

[END EXT4]

[END SD CARD]

Now, if you are rooted, this doesn't really stop you. But most users will never know, or care, about rooting their device. They won't even see the EXT partition on their computer if they were to take the sd card out and plug it right in (Windows can't read EXT partitions without some special software). If the user has linux, they will see the files, but the crypto keys are stored in phone protected memory, accessible only to root.

This keeps casual copying from occurring.

Remember this, a lock only keeps and honest man honest.

If I have physical possession of your device, no matter what security you put on it, I will eventually be able to get what I want out of it.
(thank you, 4o66!)

Now, I am rooted, definitely, and using Root Explorer, and many other File Managers, but I still cannot see anything in that

/mnt/sdcard/.android_secure folder

no permissions, no nothing........

Should I be seeing anything.

BTW, Storage Analyser, free from market shows all the Apps on the SD card

Upvote 0
Agreed, But Storage Analyzer is a good app, No??

well Danny, Lord Shadow here has never used said app, thus it must be utter crap :p

in all seriousness, I've seen it recommended elsewhere so it must be decent

Whaddya tink of Leinster??

Boy's in Blue.....:))
ah they did well... in the second half
listening on radio

Upvote 0
well Danny, Lord Shadow here has never used said app, thus it must be utter crap :p

in all seriousness, I've seen it recommended elsewhere so it must be decent

ah they did well... in the second half
listening on radio

How true, a chara......brill 2nd half, but we miss Mr. Hook on de Telly

sure Cork still have Sam....until September....at least :p

Then....who knows....could be our turn :rolleyes:

rug30wh.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones