1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

uninstalled critical system app

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by funkylogik, Sep 15, 2011.

1. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

hi, its my 1st post
    was messing around with System App Remover and think i may have uninstalled a critical app without backing it up.
    stupid i know.
    now i cant use gmail, market, etc. in Settings, Account+Sync, my google account is gone and when i press Add Account, nothing happens.
    is there any way to find out which app is missing and somehow replace it?
    Heres the problem, i cant flash anything because for some reason the phone needs rooted every time i reboot (universal androot) and i cant get into recovery mode either by holding volume button down or using rom manager etc. i dont know why....
    any help to either find and restore the missing system app or to get me able to flash a new rom would be much apreciated. Ps, i dont have access to a computer, i only have my sf.
    (gen1, stock orange rom)
    Cheers

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

I can't tell you what you deleted unfortunately :p Any idea what you think it might be? We might be able to source the apk.

The phone will also "forget" it's rooted so you need to run the root program every time you reboot. It's fine though, if you can get into a recovery and install another ROM/stock ROM, you only need to reboot once.

The default version of clockwork ROM Manager installs is only compatible with Gen 2 handsets. What's the default version it says it's installed? The correct version is 3.0.1.4 and you can install by opening ROM Manager and selecting All ClockworkMod Recoveries (the bottom option) . If you get into CWM, do you want a stock or custom ROM? I'll direct link if you're just using your phone.

funkylogik likes this.
  3. funkylogik

hi m8, thanks for reply
    yeah its that version of clockwork i installed (well rom manager says ive installed it) dont know why i cant boot into recovery.
    if i could flash a rom, i would defo want at least a nice stable 2.2 rom.
    when i go into Settings, Apps, Manage Apps, should there be an app there called GApps or Google Apps? because there isn't.
    do you know where i could find a list of the stock 2.1 system apps so i could work out whats missing?
    i would far rather upgrade my rom but as i said, this phone is my only window to the internet and my only phone so if i messed it up id be screwed lol

4. funkylogik

.....yeeha!
    ..ok i just went into rom manger+ it said "clockwork update available" or something.
    i clicked ok+then tried rebooting into recovery and it worked!
    beautiful orange text lol.
    now..
    is this when i should use titanium to back up apps?
    i have 2gb sd-card, about 50mb of internal memory left so...
    how much space should i clear on my sd-card to hold all my apps and a custom rom??
    sorry for my newbieness but as you can see from my original post.... im blonde lol

5. Vorbis

Vorbis Well-Known Member

Hey Funky. Welcome to the forums. Used to seeing you on giffgaff. :D

6. El Presidente

VIP Member

A 2GB card should be fine mate, the zip file is only circa 80MB and it's stored on the card, not the phone (until it gets installed). If you've clockwork on and you can get into it on a regular basis, it's pretty hard to brick the phone now. Let me know what you decide (stock or custom ROM) and I can upload it to my dropbox account and give you a direct link. I'd recommend a custom though.

Gapps is the name of the google apps package and a lot of standard google apps have Gapps somewhere in their name so it could be any of them unfortunately.

As for Titanium, that's not done in clockwork, It's an app you download and run whilst the phone is on. What is it you want to back up though as the apps will just download themselves again once you've linked the phone to the same gmail account. What I often do is just let the apps download themselves again, then restore the data associated with them on an individual basis.

funkylogik likes this.
  7. funkylogik

hi vorbis m8. wots ur gg usernawe?
    hi el presidente. i want a custom rom m8. either a nice stable 2.2 or a decent 2.3 if u can recommend any.
    cheers m8 :)

8. funkylogik

*(usernaMe)

9. funkylogik

....ps, my sf is gen1

10. El Presidente

VIP Member

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31513255/Swedish_Spring_RLS5.zip

There's the direct link. Save it to the root of your SD Card, reboot into clockwork, take a backup of your current setup, wipe the cache partition, wipe data/factory reset, then select install zip from SD Card. Choose the Swedish Spring zip and off you go. First boot might take a little longer than normal, but no more than ten mins at an absolute maximum.

funkylogik likes this.
  11. funkylogik

hi m8, thanks
    i flashed that swedish spring lastnight+im very happy with it ;-) got all my apps+their data back so it was realy painless.
    il probably get sick of it soon enough+want a 2.3 rom lol.
    thanks for everyones help.
    great forum :)
    Alan

12. funkylogik

ps....
    i found that i couldnt download the rom using opera mini so had to use skyfire.

13. El Presidente

VIP Member

Glad you sorted it! :)

Opera Mini is pretty bad by all accounts, give Dolphin a whirl, that's my browser of choice.

14. funkylogik

ive used opera for years m8, on symbian+javd before android+havnt found anything faster.
    downloaded dolphin+some add-ons lastnite but havnt realy tested it yet.
    i like skyfire just for its flash support but hate it as a browser.
    whats the ideal cpu speed i should set my sf at for performance m8?
    think i have it at 710 max justnow usin no frills cpu but scared to set it higher lol

15. El Presidente

VIP Member

No probs, there are 2 variants though, Opera Mobile and Opera Mini. Opera mobile is meant to be far superior so you might want to try that instead.

16. funkylogik

yeah i found opera mobile slower. just been playin around with dolphin+it seems realy rich+fully featured. also better for viewing desktop versions. im gona persist with it but keep operamini for fast on the go access :)

17. El Presidente

VIP Member

Fair do's, all down to personal preference.

No harm in having a few browsers installed either.

18. funkylogik

totaly. now that i finaly have app2sd anyway lol :)
    where in scotland r u m8?
    am in Paisley

19. El Presidente

VIP Member

Highlands, although was born and bred in a wee town just South of Aberdeen called Stonehaven.

This forum needs more Celts! :)

20. dannymur

dannymur Android Enthusiast

hear hear Your Excellency.....

T

El Presidente likes this.
  21. funkylogik

mon the Celts :)

El Presidente likes this.
Tags: