1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Uninstalling a Manually installed .apk?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by frappawotsit, May 7, 2012.

1. frappawotsit

frappawotsit Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Hello,

Following a firmware update I lost my Polaris Office which i used quite frequently. I found online the .apk for it and manually installed the app.

However the app looks like it's loaded, it appears on my applications list, and on my home screen, but when i try and launch a document, I just get a message to say Polaris has stopped.

I have since bought a different app for editing documents as i could not get Polaris to work.

However when i go to the applications list to un-install it, all options (cache, force stop, un-install etc) are all greyed out. It shows the full install and data size (6.33mb), but I can't find anyway to un-install the app.

Can anyone tell me a) How I can un-install it and b)How or where I can get Polaris office back again? (it's supposedly part of the pre-installed apps)

The strange thing is, I updated my wifes SGS2 using the same firmware file as I had used, and her phone didn't lose the Polaris office app?

The firmware is ICS 4.0.3, on XWLP7 (baseband XXLPS) if this helps?

Thanks.

-Stu.

Advertisement

2. Kie

Kie Android Expert
    None

Oct 7, 2011
    Risk and Safety Engineer
    Perth, Australia
    Have you tried Full Install yet? Perhaps it only half-installed and requires to complete installation before you can uninstall it? Sounds weird but I've seen it a lot!

Your other option is to root your phone and use Titanium Backup & Restore. That app will definitely remove all traces of your polaris office.

3. frappawotsit

frappawotsit Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Sorry to sound thick... but what do you mean by a "full install" ? I literally downloaded the .apk file and then from the phone, ran it.... assuming it would just install it.

If there is something else i should do/try, please let me know what/how?

thanks

4. Kie

Kie Android Expert
    None

Oct 7, 2011
    Risk and Safety Engineer
    Perth, Australia
    I think I just misread the full install bit. I thought you were looking at an option in the app that said full install, but I guess not. I can't think of anything besides Titanium that would help I'm afraid. Weird how it's all greyed out.

5. skimminstones

skimminstones Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2009
    just checking but have you actually tried to press the uninstall button? I got caught out on one rom where it was all greyed out so i thought i couldnt uninstall then realised it was the roms theme making the button look grey but i could still press uninstall

6. frappawotsit

frappawotsit Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Yes I've tried that, alas no joy. But thanks anyway.