• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Uninstalling Mobile ID...

Apache Thunder

Android Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2012
I've gotten around to uninstalling a few things I don't need and the first thing I removed was Mobile ID. Main reason is that I don't use it and I want the Browser icon to be on my dock icon bar at the bottom. But after uninstalling Mobile ID, the icon is still there (but doesn't work obvoisely).

So is there a safe way of getting the Browser icon back down there and thus remove all remnants of MobileID? I am currently not ready for using a custom rom so I am running stock.

I've gotten around to uninstalling a few things I don't need and the first thing I removed was Mobile ID. Main reason is that I don't use it and I want the Browser icon to be on my dock icon bar at the bottom. But after uninstalling Mobile ID, the icon is still there (but doesn't work obvoisely).

So is there a safe way of getting the Browser icon back down there and thus remove all remnants of MobileID? I am currently not ready for using a custom rom so I am running stock.
You could use a 3rd Part Launcher.. GO, ADW, or XPeria etc. I am not sure how to do so in stock since I didn't use it long, but you can change the programs in the dock to be whatever you want. I personally use GO Launcher EX, but that is my preference. Though I would like to say I wish there was an Advanced Uninstaller like RevoUninstaller for Windows. So it would find left over files and delete them. I know I can no longer get my app Font Installer to work now for whatever reason. Whenever I uninstall it then reinstall it still keeps the settings from before, in other words it doesn't open like it is the first time I have used it. Just to mention I tried this w/o restoring via TiBU, because it gives you the option to replace App + Data. So just my thoughts. Hope it can be of some help, though I am sure you knew about the Launchers already, but just in case haha.

Upvote 0
The forum section for that phone is a ghost town. :(
Yeah I just saw that.. Could try to Google through and see if another forum has posted a Stock ROM... There is also the LG Lucid, which is also a Ghost town here.. hmm...

*UPDATE*
Here is a Stock LG myTouch (E739) ROM from T-Mobile. Thanks to "mistere372002" over @ XDA!
LG myTouch Q (C800) & LG myTouch 4G (E739) Forum Section Coming?? - Page 54 - xda-developers

I am downloading now.. Will post when I finish.
...Finished, and now I see it is A stock recovery from CWM.. not sure how to extract what you need from it.
data.ext3.tar

*Edit*
Ok so I just remembered I could use WinRar to explore the .tar. So I went in and this is what I found:
com.lge.Launcher2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whats the apk name for the launcher? I'm not seeing it in the apps folder...

Here is the .apk from the first 'deodexed stock ROM', I think could be the launcher. I am not certain though merely a guess haha. Either way here it is:
LGHome2.apk

*Edit: Links no longer work, if file is needed pm me.*

Upvote 0
It's definitely Launcher2. There is a launcher2.apk in the system folder for stock Marquee. I deleted it (with the intent of restoring a back up I made just before deleting it) and saw that the launcher didn't come up anymore and the phone would sit at boot screen on restart. So that appears to be the one. I'll try the com.lge.Launcher2 link you provided.

EDIT: Will try the LGHome one instead. The com.lge.Launcher2 zip file doesn't contain an apk file...Unless the zip file is infact a renamed apk file? As I recall, APK are Jar containers...

Upvote 0
It's definitely Launcher2. There is a launcher2.apk in the system folder for stock Marquee. I deleted it (with the intent of restoring a back up I made just before deleting it) and saw that the launcher didn't come up anymore and the phone would sit at boot screen on restart. So that appears to be the one. I'll try the com.lge.Launcher2 link you provided.

EDIT: Will try the LGHome one instead. The com.lge.Launcher2 zip file doesn't contain an apk file...Unless the zip file is infact a renamed apk file? As I recall, APK are Jar containers...
I believe so.. Yeah I wasn't sure about com.lge.Launcher2. Like I said it was pulled from a CWM backup. I know nothing of ROM Development so really I just gave you the data backup tar and what I thought could be useful for what you were looking for.

Upvote 0
Nothin. Need a phone that uses the same launcher apk. LGHome won't install and forcing it doesn't work.

I'll try the one from the Prevail. It has no features specific to that phone and it might just be compatible. I can't recall which version of the Prevail's baseband came with GB 2.3.4, but I can find out by giving the Prevail forum section a quick check.

Upvote 0
Nothin. Need a phone that uses the same launcher apk. LGHome won't install and forcing it doesn't work.

I'll try the one from the Prevail. It has no features specific to that phone and it might just be compatible. I can't recall which version of the Prevail's baseband came with GB 2.3.4, but I can find out by giving the Prevail forum section a quick check.

Eureka!

I am a dumb@$$ lmao.. I had a backup of Launcher.apk for our phone. Here ya go try it out:
[DESKTOP]Launcher 1.6.22.apk

Upvote 0
Looks like it's something in the framework or another part of the rom. I did manage to find a forum topic at XDA forums where someone made a custom version of the stock Launcher with different icons on the dock. I installed the normal one with browser icon and 5 screens. However it was bugged. It had the dock extended a bit too far on the right and area where Mobile ID/browser would be is blank. Pressing it would still result in it trying to start MobileID. :(

Upvote 0
Looks like it's something in the framework or another part of the rom. I did manage to find a forum topic at XDA forums where someone made a custom version of the stock Launcher with different icons on the dock. I installed the normal one with browser icon and 5 screens. However it was bugged. It had the dock extended a bit too far on the right and area where Mobile ID/browser would be is blank. Pressing it would still result in it trying to start MobileID. :(
So my Launcher.apk is buggy? I installed it back to my phone and it seemed ok. I use GO though personally so I didn't really pay much attn. and uninstalled it again after that.

Upvote 0
No not yours. I had tried another one from a different forum. Yours didn't seem to have any effect since the MobileID was still there. I used the CWM zip file from the guy's buggy launcher to install yours among the other launchers I have tried. One had a bugged UI and all the others did nothing but force close.

Yours was the only one that worked, but it didn't remove the MobileID icon.

I went ahead and just installed ADW Launcher. :p

Upvote 0
No not yours. I had tried another one from a different forum. Yours didn't seem to have any effect since the MobileID was still there. I used the CWM zip file from the guy's buggy launcher to install yours among the other launchers I have tried. One had a bugged UI and all the others did nothing but force close.

Yours was the only one that worked, but it didn't remove the MobileID icon.

I went ahead and just installed ADW Launcher. :p
Haha well i am glad my time wasn't a huge waste. I was going to tell you that when I put on Launcher.apk It still showed Mobile ID, though I know for a fact I do not have it installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones