1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Unintentionally reset my phone, wan't it back

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kasperlindvig, Apr 28, 2011.

1. kasperlindvig

kasperlindvig Lurker
    None

Apr 28, 2011
    Hi.
    I just bought an LG optimus 2x one week ago. It is filled with apps and trying to get the most of it I explored rooting it. I haven't actually rooted it yet, but I have booted the phone into the HBOT menu without first unmounting the internal sd card. This apparently caused the phone to appear fresh on the software side, but all the data is still on the sd card, it is just only available to the PC and not the phone. I therefore suspect that not unmounting the sd card has done something to the phone that makes it not look at all the apps on the sd card and therefore no longer display them. I would try anything to avoid reinstalling all the apps, by taking a backup of the sd card and use that to reinstall everything again. Could anyone help me undo what I've done, so my phone once again displays all my apps that I have installed (300-350). All I did was press the volume down button while pressing the power button and a simple fix for the mess this caused would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Pompey, UK
    Unfortunately, what you did was wipe the phone, which includes wiping the internal 'SD card' as well.

It leaves the external SD card alone, but that's not much help to you now.

The long and short of it is you're not going to get it back, you'll have to start installing them again.

3. kasperlindvig

kasperlindvig Lurker
    None

Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks for the answer. The files are all there on the sd card. There is 5.2GB on it, so all my files are intact. I believe that it is only the links to them that have been deleted, so that the apps does not display in the programs menu. With a file manager on my phone I am fully able to see all my files. All I would like is not to reinstall all the applications only to recreate some links/shortcuts that will make them visible in the program menu. I made a backup on my PC, so in case the setting I made in the programs I installed are not remembered, I will be able to get them back. I sure had hoped that there existed a program, like a web spider, that would search through the phone and recreate the deleted links instead of having to reinstall everything again.

4. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Pompey, UK
    That's not how Android works. You apps are stored in /data/app, which is now blank. If you had been moving apps to the SD card, then you'll find part of them in the .android_secure folder on the card. This part is pretty much useless without the info on /data

You can't get things back, that's the point of a factory reset. Re-install your stuff and take a backup (regular ones might be a good idea) just in case.

5. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    I find when I do mass reinstalling, doing it from the Market on the computer really help with the speed.