1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Unique battery issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Baboontyme, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Baboontyme

Baboontyme Active Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Wondering if someone who knows more about the settings might be able to suggest something here.

I work out of my home and my office is in my basement. Despite being in a populated area with a high signal strength, my signal in my basement is very poor - usually between 0 and 2 bars. I had to set up an Airave so that I can take business calls in my office that come in on my mobile.

Originally was getting HORRIBLE battery life, but I made the change to CDMA Auto and also changed the Network under Roaming Settings to Sprint Only. In addition I did the power on/off battery charge sync.

Battery life improved greatly with these three changes when I made them last weekend (when I'm not downstairs as much). During the work week, I noticed my battery life seemed to be getting worse.

Today, I was outside all day with great signal strength, and I'm going on 14 hrs and still have 70% remaining.

This basically confirms to me what I suspected - my phone is still doing something when I'm in my basement with the low signal that is draining the battery at a higher rate. When I am in my basement using the "About Phone" information under settings, I am without signal upwards of 75% of the time. Elsewhere it's less than 10% of the time without signal.

Any ideas?

If you did not know, the Airave only works for voice-calls and only boosts your signal when a call is coming in or going out. My phone still shows 0-2 bars until I hit send or answer a call when in my basement. The Airave does not support data.

Other items - I have the phone set to check my personal e-mail account every hour. I have my Exchange account on Push (which I don't want to change). I leave Nav off, Wifi off, Bluetooth off. No 4G in my area so it is off, as well. I have Google Talk off, don't use Facebook so all FB settings are off.

Can't think of anything else.

Your help is appreciated.

Advertisement

2. shappy

shappy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Automotive Industry
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I work from home too and I noticed that when I was working downstairs I was only getting 1 or 2 bars of signal strength. While upstairs I was almost maxed out, but I spend 99% of the day downstairs. My EVO battery life was less than ideal.

Then I started keeping my wifi on all the time and my battery life dramatically increased. I get 50-75 push emails every day from my work exchange and gmail accounts. My battery life would be almost 70% after 12 hours.

Here is one recent screen shot of my battery usage:
    [​IMG]

So you might want to try keeping your wifi on too when at home.

3. Baboontyme

Baboontyme Active Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Thanks shappy....I will give that a try. Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing this if roaming and GSM are off?

Tags: