1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Unique file in stock ICS-based ROMs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by blsmitty, Jan 6, 2013.

1. blsmitty

blsmitty Member
    None

Nov 21, 2012
    I found this file in the stock ICS-based ROMs out there in the root/system/lib/egl directory--libGLESv2S3D_adreno200.so--that I haven't found in other ROMs. Anybody know what this file does, if anything? Is it significant? I'm just not tech savvy enough to understand it myself.

I ask because I seem to have better graphical performance on stock ICS-based ROMs vs. GB or even CM10 (for example, in graphically intensive homescreen transitions for, say, Go Launcher or MiHome). Is this file the reason?

As always, thanks to the Spec community & esp. to the dev's.

Advertisement

2. ortrigger

ortrigger Android Expert
    None

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    IT student
    I can't tell you exactly what it is, but I can tell you that it's part of the graphics driver for the adreno gpu we have in the spec.

blsmitty likes this.
  3. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    Male
    Wisconsin
    CM builds it's on adreno drivers, which include the information needed to do 3D render. I don't know that it would hurt to add that file in, but any effects would most likely be placebo as there is nothing I've seen calling out that file to use it.

blsmitty likes this.
  4. blsmitty

blsmitty Member
    None

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, I figured but just wasn't sure if it actually contributed to the smoother graphical effects I was experiencing.

Is it possible the stock drivers, including this one (& its attendant connected commands), actually work better?

To add to the "intrigue," although I have higher overall Antutu scores on CM10, specifically the GPU score is about 500 pts higher on the stock ROM (~2600 on stock ICS vs. ~2100 on CM10). Well, for what it's worth, I suppose.

To both of you guys, I appreciate the responses.

5. tdm

tdm Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2012
    Developer
    Seattle, WA
    I think it's part of the older adreno drivers, but not used in the new jb drivers. But that's just a guess. At any rate if it were needed, the ui wouldn't work.

blsmitty likes this.
  6. blsmitty

blsmitty Member
    None

Nov 21, 2012
    I suppose it's just a matter of time before every aspect of CM10 gets optimized on the Spec, eh?

7. blsmitty

blsmitty Member
    None

Nov 21, 2012
    Ok, so I've been tinkering w/ CM10. I've been trying all the tweaks I can get my hands on (that I'm able to do) to get that smoother operation I seem to get on stock ICS ROMs. So I try copying the Adreno driver files from the stock ICS ROM (root/system/lib/egl) onto CM10. I tried all of them at once & then each of them one at a time. The result is the same: NO BOOT (either black screen or stuck at the 2nd LG logo).

This is more to understand how these things work & so I apologize in advance for my newbness.

So I get the basic idea that files from different versions of Android aren't necessarily backwards (or forwards) compatible. But I was wondering, in this case, why that was. Are there simply signatures in the files that the OS is looking for or is it a lot more complicated than that? Just looking for a little light in this dark place haha. Appreciate the help!

8. tdm

tdm Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2012
    Developer
    Seattle, WA
    The kernel adreno driver must match the user space library. Qcom is quite lax with their kernel APIs (like most vendors).

blsmitty likes this.
  9. blsmitty

blsmitty Member
    None

Nov 21, 2012
    Sheesh, I wish I understood what that meant haha! :p

Don't waste your time on this, TDM! I'll try do some more research w/ what's available online. At least this points me in a direction to go looking.

Thx bro!

Tags: