1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Unique Notification Sounds per App on Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus - Can't Do

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by David Wertz, Jan 13, 2018.

1. David Wertz

David Wertz Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2018
    I want to set up unique Notificaton Sounds for some Apps on the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. However, there are only three unique notification sounds I can set up . . . Messsages, Calender and Default (which gets applied to all others). All the forums say look in each individual App and click on the settings and then choose the sound you want for that App there. But none of the apps have an option to define the Notification sound, only an on/off button to confirm if you want a notification sound. Why is it not possible to set up unique sounds for each App?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    It's not possible because it's the app that chooses which notification sound it uses, not the operating system. The system provides an interface for choosing sounds, but these developers have chosen not to use that and hence they just get the default notification sound.

You could contact the app developers and see whether you can persuade them to add the feature.

Dannydet and mikedt like this.
  3. Darkflame1

Darkflame1 Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Alamo city
    Zedge, and Ringtone Maker are apps that let you totally customize your notifications for every app, and even for different contacts within phone or messaging apps.
    Ringtone Maker allows you to take the desired portion of any sound file (like mp3) and make it a notification. Zedge allows you to set that sound file as the notification for any app.
    As an example, I have my default ring tone set to be the opening riffs of a Chuck Berry song. When I hear that, I ignore it completely because I know that caller is not one of my contacts. When someone from work calls, it's the AT&T tone (I'm a cable tech at AT&T). When family calls, the Pointer Sisters sing 'We Are Family' But when my wife calls, it's James Taylor singing 'Whenever I See Your Smiling Face.' And, when my ex-wife calls, the Mission Impossible theme plays. Medical calls (doctors & pharmacies) it plays a siren. Calls from my CPA and my financial institutions play Pink Floyds 'money.' Every contact I have is in a group with its own tone, or the individual has his/her own tone. So, when I hear Chuck Berry playing, it's a spam call.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus