• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unique notification tones

Edward123

Lurker
Sep 5, 2017
I'm trying to assign unique notification tones on my S8+ for my different sources (i.e. one tone for my wife, one for my paging service (I work in a health care environment), etc.).

The first time I attempted it I went into Contacts-Specific Contact-Edit-Message Tone-Select Tone-Save. Somehow that set my default to that tone and everything (Apps, text messages, phone calls, news alerts, etc.) sounded to that tone (In this case it was Eine Kliene Nachturne).

I then went into Settings-Sounds and Vibrations-Notification Sounds-Messages notifications-and set the Default sound (which had become Eine Kliene Nachturne) to a standard tone (Skyline). Now all my notifications sound to that tone (skyline) regardless of what I set the individual sources are set to.

How can I set my notifications up so I can get a unique tone for the different sources I get text messages from?

Thank you.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones