• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Universal inbox on homescreen?

novemberwhiskey

Android Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2010
Is there any way I can add a universal inbox shortcut to my homescreen?

I just want to click on one icon, that will bring me into a unified inbox with all my messages.

I already know I can use the "messages" icon, but if I use that I have to click on "universal inbox" again make it a two-step process each time.

I just want to click on one icon, that will bring me into a unified inbox with all my messages.

I downloaded the K9 Mail app for this purpose... yet I prefer the Droid X built-in Universal Inbox because it shows the icon of the message source to the right (e.g., Yahoo, Gmail, Facebook, etc.). You can add your Gmail account to either K9 or the Universal Inbox and disable notifcations for the Gmail client.

What I am currently doing is I moved the "Messaging" icon that looks like a physical mailbox to my homescreen. I now have to press on that icon and then the Universal Inbox... so 2 clicks. WHY CAN'T WE ADD THE UNIVERSAL INBOX TO THE HOMESCREEN???! And if we can, please let me know how. :cool:

I am running both K9 and the Universal Inbox with all of my mail in each at this time... I am testing to see which I like best over the next couple of days.

Upvote 0
Just got a new VZW Motorola Droid to replace a T-Mobile HTC, which had a much, much better mail app, and had this universal inbox issue. You can workaround the issue with LauncherPro, a free app that allows you to create shortcuts to essentially any app or subapp on your phone. Once it's installed, create a new shortcut, click on 'activity' and scroll all the way down to Universal Inbox. Works really well, and you can rename shortcuts. I'd post a link, but looks like newbies aren't allowed to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones