• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Universal Power Strips

ROBOCRIPPLE

Apr 9, 2016
When I was in the Philippines, I saw power strips in the brick-and-mortar stores which sell power strips that accept more than one type of power plug. But I couldn't find any in stores back here in Canada. Why is that? Lower voltage?

3-Layer-Tower-Model-Universal-2-USB-Port-5V-2-1A-Electronic-Power-Strip-Socket-with.jpg

Does anybody here in Android Forums from other countries like those in Europe find these power strips in their local brick-and-mortar stores? I asked this question in another forum, PSNProfiles, but with only one response, from somebody in Alaska, which is also a part of North America and the US, saying no. I didn't think they're available in any store in North America or Japan, but I'm sure they're available all over Southeast Asia, China, and Europe...

Last edited:
Probably because they are not UL approved (any certification stampings you may see on them are likely fake). The manufacturers of these products are not going to pay for the necessary certifications for those markets that require them, therefore you won't see them in regular stores. You might find them at flea markets and in stores that sell cheap stuff and don't care about things like certifications.
Of course there's a good reason for those certifications, unless you aren't concerned about things like setting your house on fire.

Upvote 0
I see plenty of them here in China, but never in stores in the United Kingdom or Ireland. Reason, electrical approvals and standards. Like in the UK all plugs and outlets must be BS1363 approved, and the example you've showed would be completely illegal to sell.

What about the power strips that are approved but still have the same outlets as the example above? Outlets that accept most types of power plugs? Or is that still illegal and, thus, you can only find power strips that just have the UK outlets?

Upvote 0
What about the power strips that are approved but still have the same outlets as the example above? Outlets that accept most types of power plugs? Or is that still illegal and, thus, you can only find power strips that just have the UK outlets?

The law in the UK is that all outlets, power strips and plugs sold there must be BS1363 approved AFAIK.
For information...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_po...three-pin_.28rectangular.29_plugs_and_sockets

One thing BS1363 is that all UK outlets must have shuttered holes, to try and prevent anything that isn't a plug from being inserted. I know that the one you've shown isn't shuttered. Can have travel adapters which accept single foreign plugs, such as two flat prong US style, but they must be BS1363 approved, fused and again have shuttered holes.

I believe Canada basically follows the US for electrical standards and approvals, like UL approvals.

Of course here in China, there are supposed to be standards, but basically anything goes. :thumbsupdroid: But this is a typical wall outlet in China. Which takes two prong flat and round, and a slanted three prong of the same type used in Australia I believe.
ChinaElectricReceptacle.jpeg

Upvote 0
So if the outlets are required to be shuttered, can you find power strips that accept multiple types of power plugs and still have the shutters?

Not in the UK or Ireland AFAIK. Multiple outlet power strips are either BS1363 or three prong IEC plug only. I don't know what the rules are in Canada though about this

Like the travel adapter that I have?

universal-travel-adapter-with-usb-port-9025-983945-1.jpg

Apart from the low-voltage USB output, it can only connect one mains device at a time. Looks like it's got a BS1363 approved fused plug on the right, so I think would be OK for sale in the UK. I have a couple of them myself. BTW I did buy one travel adapter when passing through Moscow Airport in Russia that turned out to be absolutely lethal, the thing just fell apart exposing all the live contacts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones