• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Universal Windows USB Drivers (ADB, BootLoader, Disk Drive, HTC Sync)

Thanks for this post. This was the trickiest part of the entire rooting process back in the day when I rooted my Evo. It took me a while to realize I needed to install the driver 3x. I had initially thought that windows was just not taking the driver.

Here are the drivers I used along with the instructions. They are essentially the same as what you described as well.

public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]

Upvote 0
Yes, but with much more explanation and hand holding, as well as XP instructions and additional pix.

The problem is that people don't know they need drivers because they have used the ASDK install or the HTC Sync 'install then uninstall' method to get ADB and don't know that HBOOT is a different animal. On #unrevokedtest over the last several days, I can't tell you how many times I heard "Already have drivers installed" ... followed by rooting failures running Reflash.exe. Also seen lots of people advising how to "get drivers" that don't work.

I explain this right up front, something that is missing from the RootWiki article (which I reference for credit).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones