1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support university's Google Apps gmail account on Android

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ailurus, Feb 15, 2011.

1. ailurus

ailurus Lurker

I am trying to set up my university's email address, which uses Google Apps, on my Samsung Fascinate and it is not working. I keep getting an error message saying "Setup could not finish. Username or password incorrect. (Invalid credentials [Failure]). I know the information is correct and I can sign on to the account on the phone's internet browser...

I have followed the IMAP for Google Apps email address tutorial for the manual settings but I can't get past the screen for inputing the Incoming Server settings because of the error message.

I've also tried adding the account to the Gmail app that came with the phone, but there's no way to manually set up..so when I try signing in, it attempts to "communicate with Google servers" but ultimately says it cant establish a reliable data connection to the server.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Advertisement

2. Did you enable IMAP in your email settings?

If not, go onto your google mail account on your computer. On the top right you will see settings. Click that and you will see a tab labeled "Forwarding and POP/IMAP". You can enable it on that page.

I had a lot of trouble getting my schools google email to work with my fascinate. I had to play around with the settings for a while.

Also your school should give you settings to use with phones.

-----For my incoming settings:
    -My user name is my email address. not just the name. so in my case it is MYNAME@udel.edu
    -My IMAP server is imap.gmail.com
    -Port is 993
    -Security type is SSL
    -----outgoing settings:
    -Port is 587
    -Security type is TLS.

The ports could be different.. I bet you are trying to log on with just your email name and not the full address. That was the problem I had

-Andrew

3. tgulch22

tgulch22 Android Enthusiast

The problem I had with the same thing was the username has to be the entire email address yourname@xyz.edu not just your name.
    Also make sure the server is not set as mail.xyz.edu it needs to be imap.gmail.com

Also had to set it to ssl allow all and it worked like a champ