• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unknown Contacts in Messaging App

parishmc

Jun 13, 2011
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
in the factory messaging app there are loads of
contacts that i don't know mixed in with my contacts.
this is only in the stock sms app, they are not there
in the phone or contacts app. the worst part is
apparently there is no way to delete them aside
from possibly doing a full factory reset. some are
names and others are email addresses.

has anyone else come across this ?

the phone was brand new, i peeled the stickers off
and at&t verified the imei has never been activated
before.

if your phone is linked with gmail, yahoo, twitter, facebook, exchange, or any other client... you may have some of those contacts linked. what i would suggest to do is... delete all the accounts from the phone (make sure you do a back up of your contacts first just in case - in contacts, go to menu, import/export, export to sd card or internal)

I have some funky contacts that moved over with my yahoo mail app... they dont show up in my contacts but they do show up in email and for some strange reason in my txt msg app. Im always wiping my phone cuz im always doing something to it. and I know if i just link my primary gmail account. my contact list is perfect... but when i link all my other accounts i get all these crazy contacts (primary emails). Funny thing is if you have emailed someone or they have emailed ya and you still have those email in you inbox the phone will pull them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones