• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unknown device?

Gottac?. Not where where to put this.

So my 15 yo has a stylo 5(lg) when. When I go thru her history and I look at "details" sometimes the device "stylo5" comes up then other times its "unknown device" she goes to her dads a couple of days a week and I'm wondering if she or someone is using her phone with a different SIM card.?
Any ideas??
Thanks yall!!
Screenshot_20201021-223917_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20201021-223847_Samsung Internet.jpg

unknown device just means that someone logged into the account on a device that was not previously associated with the google account. maybe her dad's computer?
Her dad doesnt have one. He owns an old lg phone and he doesnt get online. Ever! he works and goes home, eats,, showers and goes bowling with friends on Tues. Is at home piddling. He just isnt a tech kinda guy.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Using the same phone with a different SIM card would just show up as the same phone, so I don't think that's the reason.

Using a different phone, a tablet, a computer from the local library, anything like that could show as unknown device.

My guess though is that she might just have use a browser to do her search rather than a Google search widget. If she is sensible she will be trying to block what she can of the tracking crap that infests the web these days, and that might be enough to stop Google identifying the device from the browser she used. I just tried this myself with the DuckDuckGo browser: logged into Google from it (first time ever, since not using Google is sort of the point of that browser), allowed the login (the fact that the 2-factor authentication asked me whether to allow it tells me that it didn't recognise my phone) and then checked which devices had recently accessed my account, and it's there as "android device" rather than as my phone name. So I think it quite possible that she's just used a browser one her phone which blocks some of the trackers that many websites use to monitor, mine and monetise your web activity (which IMO would be perfectly sensible), and that's resulted in it appearing as an unknown device in her Google history. Can't be sure, but it's a possible explanation. It's not as if she was trying to hide what she was searching for if she was using Google to do the search, after all ;).

Upvote 0
Well snap chat and Textnow she swears she isnt downloading jack and that someone has hacked her phone. ..sooo. And today she was with me all day and when i looked at her history, again it said "unknown device". She has a questionable friend that i have a gut feeling about so that is why i am so concerned. But the friend hasnt been around for about 2 weeks...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones