• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unknown icon in notification bar, plus can't stop searching for service

chewedpup

Jul 18, 2010
How do I stop my phone from searching for service????
I have just arrived in the UK for 6 weeks with my lovely Samsung S II (Sprint). I have noticed an unknown icon in the notification bar - it's a circle with a line through it [***UPDATE: RCARTER10 has told me this just means "NO SERVICE" - thank you]
(see attached photos), When I pull the notification bar down, I see "SEARCHING FOR SERVICE" which I cannot seem to disable or stop. As a result, my battery has gone from 100% to 75% in FIFTEEN minutes - obviously whatever it's doing is totally draining the battery. I go down to 0% in just over an hour and a half, which is not good. I have disabled the 3g Data box under MOBILE NETWORKS (network settings) - that doesn't do anything. I tried changing from sprint to automatic back to sprint (in roaming mode) - that does nothing (icon still there). The only time it will disappear is if I put on airplane mode - then it goes away but then I can't use wifi to send and receive emails - so that defeats the purpose. I have attached screenshots of both screens. Anybody know what this icon is? Anyone know how I can stop my phone from constantly searching for service while I'm in the UK, without putting it into airplane mode? THANK YOU

51369d1355692712t-unknown-icon-notification-bar-unable-turn-searching-service-off-screenshot_2012-12-16-21-04-202.png

51370d1355692712t-unknown-icon-notification-bar-unable-turn-searching-service-off-screenshot_2012-12-16-20-58-28.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-16-21-04-202.gif
    Screenshot_2012-12-16-21-04-202.gif
    41.3 KB · Views: 193
Thanks for the update - now I know that the circle with a line through it just means no service. Great! Thank you!
Only problem is the phone is constantly searching for service, which drains the battery from 100% to 0% in just over an hour and a half, and THAT is what I need to know how to stop. I don't want to have it in airplane mode, because then I can't hook it up to wifi - I just want to stop it searching for service, which it is doing all the time - and that's what's draining my battery. Turning off the 3g mobile network doesn't help - but I desperately need to stop this. Any ideas anyone?

Upvote 0
I would say while you are away, turn your data off, that should stop it from searching, I assume you are only using WiFi in the UK while you are there.

Thanks for the update - now I know that the circle with a line through it just means no service. Great! Thank you!
Only problem is the phone is constantly searching for service, which drains the battery from 100% to 0% in just over an hour and a half, and THAT is what I need to know how to stop. I don't want to have it in airplane mode, because then I can't hook it up to wifi - I just want to stop it searching for service, which it is doing all the time - and that's what's draining my battery. Turning off the 3g mobile network doesn't help - but I desperately need to stop this. Any ideas anyone?

Upvote 0
THanks DonB - and yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do - turn the data off so that the phone isn't constantly searching for service. I went to mobile networks, unchecked the 3G box, but STILL it's searching for service. If anyone has an S2 and knows how to stop the phone searching for service (because I am not in a Sprint area), I would so appreciate it. I tried turning the roaming from automatic to sprint, then back to automatic, then back to sprint - but that doesn't do anything - the phone constantly searches for service. I have looked at every option I can think of but cannot see how to stop it. Where else can I find out how to turn off the data, so that the phone stops looking for service? Maybe I'm just being really thick here - I thought I was pretty good with phones, but maybe I am just missing out on something really obvious? I'm sure I am - I am sure there must be a very simple solution, I just can't figure it out....

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure that even if you turn off the data radios the phone part of the phone is still going to try and connect (unless you're in airplane mode). Even the old non-smart phones would die quick if you left them on in a non service area. Since you have no service, there's no reason to have the phone on unless you're actually looking to hook up to WiFi. That should help some

Upvote 0
Put it in Airplane Mode. If you need Wifi (or Bluetooth, etc) just turn that on individually.

THanks DonB - and yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do - turn the data off so that the phone isn't constantly searching for service. I went to mobile networks, unchecked the 3G box, but STILL it's searching for service. If anyone has an S2 and knows how to stop the phone searching for service (because I am not in a Sprint area), I would so appreciate it. I tried turning the roaming from automatic to sprint, then back to automatic, then back to sprint - but that doesn't do anything - the phone constantly searches for service. I have looked at every option I can think of but cannot see how to stop it. Where else can I find out how to turn off the data, so that the phone stops looking for service? Maybe I'm just being really thick here - I thought I was pretty good with phones, but maybe I am just missing out on something really obvious? I'm sure I am - I am sure there must be a very simple solution, I just can't figure it out....

Reactions: chewedpup
Upvote 0
I'm such a silly goose - I never THOUGHT of turning the wifi on individually once airplane mode was on. I assumed that once AM was on, nothing else would work (like wifi). I never even tried that till you suggested it.
NOW - I have airplane mode ON, I turned my wifi ON like you suggested - so now I can actually check my emails and my battery doesn't drain down in an hour. It just says 'NO SERVICE'. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to resolve - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I have my phone with me walking all over the house, so I can check emails etc. but before, the battery was dead after 90 minutes. Now I will be able to keep on going for ages. AGAIN THANK YOU! What a simple solution - I'm ashamed that I didn't figure it out. Guess I"m not as bright as I thought I was :)
:p

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones