1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Unknown password

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by beachdweller, Feb 7, 2011.

1. beachdweller

beachdweller Newbie

My son has a LG Ally. He has just left for the Marines Boot Camp. While he is gone, he was going to let our daughter use his phone. However, he has a password to open the phone, but didn't give us the password. Of course, there is no way to contact him to get the password. Is there anyway to bypass the password to open the phone without doing a hard reset? I don't want to lose all of his data. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mattrb

mattrb Member

Maybe check his gmail on his PC to see that his contacts are saved in the Google Cloud. Then it should be okay to do a hard reset because the contacts are the only important thing. The things that google does not backup in the cloud in Froyo is SMS and call log. He could be putting contacts just on the phone though, that is for you to find out.

If its hacked already you could just backup the nand. And then restore when he gets back.

I would just leave his phone as is and ask big V to suspend his account because of service.

beachdweller likes this.
  3. beachdweller

beachdweller Newbie

Its not rooted. I may have to just suspend it. Was hoping to let my daughter use it as she is driving me FREAKING nuts about getting a phone. Thought the 3 months would be a good trial to see if she is responsible enough to take care of one. Thank you!

4. mattrb

mattrb Member

Get your daughter a Virgin Mobile LG phone, its $150 Link, and it is as low as $25 a month. That is very cheap for phone, unl. text,& unl. internet. And no contract!

Tell your daughter to use Google Voice to make outbound calls to keep under the phone minutes limit. Or just get the $40 plan which has more minutes.

She will love it and if you think its bad for her you could just sell it on ebay for $10-$20 less. Win-Win.

5. swc2001

swc2001 Android Expert

Call me old fashioned, dated, tyranical, ogreish, or whatever....
    There Aint No way My daughter is gettin a cell phone till she is 18.
    Kids dont have any business havin a cell phone except for those ones that call home, 911, and grandparents ONLY!! No texting either.

I didnt have one.... I think I turned out alright. LOL

6. Mayhem

Mayhem Android Expert

This.

I know at one point Verizon had kids phones with four pre-programmable buttons, no camera and no texting capabilities. I can't remember what it was called.

My 7 yo son wants a cellphone. Even if they still sold these, there'd be no way in hell he'd get one.

7. Crash89

Crash89 Member

My 12 yo daughter has an Ally.

She got her first phone when she was 8, and has gotten an upgrade every 2 years on her birthday. She has never gone over her minutes, never damaged or lost the phone and always answers when I call her.

To me, it is cheap insurance. I always know where she is, and can always get in contact with her. I even check on the latitude app from time to time just to see where she is (she knows it is there and that I can use it anytime). Always checks out.

I never had a cell phone when I was her age, but they were big boxes that stayed in your car back then. But, I also never had cable TV, just an antenna with 3 channels. Our car did not have AC, but neither did our house. I guess we can all do with out these things, but hey its nice to have them sometimes. :)

8. xbrad75

xbrad75 Member

Excuse me, but I disagree. I'm eighteen years of age and had a phone since I was thirteen/fourteen. Why? Because I had swim practice (depending on the days, which team I was practicing for and such and what time coach let us out), football practice and volunteering. Since I couldn't transport myself to said places, I was given a cellphone to contact my parents. Now, no, they weren't the only ones I could contact. And yes, I did have texting (NOT unlimited). I actually PAID for my unlimited to Verizon and xxx amount of texts to other for a few months (this lasted about six/seven months) until my parents wanted texting, then they got unlimited the next plan update. I shared it PARTLY with my little sister, but being the older one, I was in charge of it.

9. swc2001

swc2001 Android Expert

I really wasnt asking to debate an 18 year old... or anyone for that matter. LOL
    Have a great day.

10. death2all110

death2all110 Android Expert

Ha ha, you guys made me laugh.

swc2001 likes this.
  11. xbrad75

xbrad75 Member

It's funny when one tries to share an opinion antagonizing another, the other gets defensive.

;)

12. swc2001

swc2001 Android Expert

Yeah made me laugh too.... especially when you read certain comments with a valley girl accent.
    Like for real!! :eek:

13. lightningdude

lightningdude Member

I got my first cell phone shortly after I got my driver's license. I really don't miss that Nokia TracFone. I don't even remember what model it was. Shortly after I turned 18, I went and signed up for Verizon and have been with them ever since. I'd go so far as to say a phone is necessary once one can drive, even if only for an emergency situation.

LG Ally Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews