• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"unlimited bandwidth" is really limited

Get 'My Verizon' app from AppMarket. It has a usage section that gives you the full breakdown: minutes, messages, data. I am a pretty heavy user, but with a slower smartphone, I rarely topped 300MB. With Droid, I anticipate something on the order of 1-2GB, primarily because of Youtube. Unless you tether (which is a $50 plan anyway), getting over 5GB is gonna take some serious effort

Upvote 0
Get 'My Verizon' app from AppMarket. It has a usage section that gives you the full breakdown: minutes, messages, data. I am a pretty heavy user, but with a slower smartphone, I rarely topped 300MB. With Droid, I anticipate something on the order of 1-2GB, primarily because of Youtube. Unless you tether (which is a $50 plan anyway), getting over 5GB is gonna take some serious effort

Be careful, though. I had a moto Q before the droid, and I would consistently go over 5 gb. The droid handles data much more quickly and efficiently, which will translate to more streaming video at higher quality, more downloading, etc. I've used nearly 2 gb so far this month.

You can check how much data you have used on the verizon website, as well as the app. Just login to your account. I forget where exactly you go from there, but the site is very straightforward (it's probably under usage or something similar).

Luckily, I have managed to retain my Alltel plan which, as far as I know, has truly unlimited data. In any case, neither of these two phones (Q or Droid) have required that I sign up for any additional data package in order to tether. If you are on the Verizon plan, though, just monitor your data usage through that site or the app.

Upvote 0
Damn man, how did you manage to go through 5GB that quick? Whether or not it is truly unlimited or capped they WILL flag your account if you are using that much data and most likely give you 2 choices, A) Use less data, whatever amount they may deem tolerable or B) They will terminate your contract with no ETF and let you keep the phone.

If anyone takes the time to really read through the TOS they clearly state that they have the right to terminate your contract if you are using a excessive amount of data. It really bogs down the network for other users too, and just because we have smartphones doesn't mean our data is more important then grandma down the road who is just trying to make some calls. Just because it goes through the air doesn't mean it is unlimited or that there is enough room for everyone to be blowing through 5GB in 3 or 4 days.

Now personally I think they should make all this clear up front and not hide it in a TOS, but it all does make sense and is done to be fair.

Upvote 0
I must have a different contract. My contract is for a single user unlimited data usage-no tethering. Want to test it. Call Verizon customer service ask him/her if you package includes unlimited data or do you have a cap? You will be told it is unlimited unless you are using the phone in ways that violates the terms of service, such as tethering or using a lot of data in an area utilizing another carriers towers for data transfers. This is an example, I have an iPhone with unlimited data, but guess what, they do not have a tower near the location I am surfing and streaming. So they contacted me and told me that they were going to terminate my contract without penalty-then I sold the iPhone. So, I guess what I am saying unlimited can be limited, but in my case with the Droid in my area, it truly is unlimited.

Upvote 0
I heard conflicting stories, but until I hear of the first person to be penalized for using more than 5GB, I'm going to use my Droid as if it were unlimited.

If ever VZW calls me on it, I'll fight 'em to the bitter end. I won't be tethering, so they won't be able to prove that I was using it improperly.

Upvote 0
The problem is everyone keeps blowing things out of proportion.

For the record, unlimited is unlimited if you use your phone like a normal human being and as the phone was designed.

If you tether, it will be clear very quickly and they will consider taking action against your account.

If you are following the rules (no tethering) then you won't have an issue. They put that 5GB cap information in for legal reasons. It's to protect them from some jerk who finds a way to stream an excessive amount of bandwidth while rendering their network virtually useless.

Stop panicking

Upvote 0
Since VZW does their data calculation based on 1024KB i'm about 100MB away from hitting 5GB ... I hit this because my phone automatically updates and downloads all of my podcast feeds whenever it's plugged into power ... including in my car. I'm going to set it up to only do so when on power AND on wifi, if i'm driving and want a certain one i'll have to manually select it to steam/download.

Otherwise i'll hit 20GB by the end of November =/

Upvote 0
The problem is everyone keeps blowing things out of proportion.

For the record, unlimited is unlimited if you use your phone like a normal human being and as the phone was designed.

If you tether, it will be clear very quickly and they will consider taking action against your account.

If you are following the rules (no tethering) then you won't have an issue. They put that 5GB cap information in for legal reasons. It's to protect them from some jerk who finds a way to stream an excessive amount of bandwidth while rendering their network virtually useless.

Stop panicking
And that's not to say you can't tether at all. I have had many smartphones on the Verizon network and have tethered all of them. BUT it's only when needed and I do not have internet on my laptop... ie when I travel for work and am sitting at the airport. The comment above is completely correct, they are trying to stop people from canceling their home internet because they tether their cell phone instead.

Upvote 0
I looked at that app but all the comments are that it doesn't work with the droid. Or that it doesn't track the cell data.

Yeah, now that I look at it, it shows 0 cell data used since Friday. But it does show that I've used 100MB on wifi since then. I just assumes it's because everywhere I've used data, I've been on wifi. Welcome to 2009, Verizon.

Upvote 0
The cap is for tethering only.

When you use your phone you are unlimited until they lock that down also.
With the Storm and Tour I would use close to 3-4gigs a month streaming pandora everyday at work and while in the car. Not to mention the browsing.

I also have the tethering plan for BB and I would get notifications when I would close to my 5gb cap.

Upvote 0
I heard conflicting stories, but until I hear of the first person to be penalized for using more than 5GB, I'm going to use my Droid as if it were unlimited.

If ever VZW calls me on it, I'll fight 'em to the bitter end. I won't be tethering, so they won't be able to prove that I was using it improperly.

chances are they won't say much unless you're pulling in 7, 8, 9, 10 etc. GB on a consistent month to month basis which I doubt is possible.

Upvote 0
i've read that with the 30$ "unlimited bandwidth" price that there is a 5GB cap and any GB that you go over is 50$

is there anyway to track usage of bandwidth?
Per contract they have no right to charge you for that. It's an informal rule for the 5GB/month limit. The only thing in the contract they're allowed to do by contract is terminate your account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones