• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unlimited Data and SIM transfer

Hello,

My phone (Note 4) is enrolled in an unlimited data plan. However, the device is currently malfunctioning. If I were to move the SIM card from my phone into my Galaxy Tab 3, which is enrolled in both the same network and same plan, then would I be able to use my unlimited data coverage on my tablet?

EDIT: Sprint Network

Last edited:
No. Each device has its own unique imei number, and that sim card is set to work only on that device's imei.... to find your device's ESN / IMEI / MEID number depends on the device.

In most cases you can find the device identifier in any of the following ways:

• On a sticker behind the device's battery
  • Via software on the "about" screen
  • On the device's box

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
No. Each device has its own unique imei number, and that sim card is set to work only on that device's imei.... to find your device's ESN / IMEI / MEID number depends on the device.

In most cases you can find the device identifier in any of the following ways:

• On a sticker behind the device's battery
  • Via software on the "about" screen
  • On the device's box

Are you serious that this is how it works in thr US? That's beyond crazy. I have an unlimited data plan too on my SIM and have just been transferring it between new phones when I get one over the years with no issues.

Upvote 0
Are you serious that this is how it works in thr US? That's beyond crazy. I have an unlimited data plan too on my SIM and have just been transferring it between new phones when I get one over the years with no issues.
Usually you can do that with GSM, but Sprint is a CDMA/EVDO network, and you must register/activate a device's ESN or MEID with it before it will work. Originally CDMA never used SIMs at all, and it was only the addition of LTE that required them.

I'm not sure if Sprint would accept a BYOD data only tablet on the OP's unlimited data, phone plan. Would have to check with them I think. Also depends if the OP's Tab 3 has CDMA/EVDO and LTE modes in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Usually you can do that with GSM, but Sprint is a CDMA/EVDO network, and you must register/activate a device's ESN or MEID with it before it will work. Originally CDMA never used SIMs at all, and it was only the addition of LTE that required them.

I'm not sure if Sprint would accept a BYOD data only tablet on the OP's unlimited data, phone plan. Would have to check with them I think. Also depends if the OP's Tab 3 has CDMA/EVDO and LTE modes in it.

What is the reasoning behind CDMA networks anyway? I don't hear a lot of that outside US. It seems to be more of a headache than not.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I believe CDMA2000(full title) was developed and introduced around the same time as GSM, in 1990s And was mainly adopted in North America. It's not used in Western Europe at all, but many countries around the world do have CDMA though, including China(China Telecom). But the caveat with CDMA is that devices are not as easily transferable to other carriers as with GSM, i.e. you couldn't just swap a SIM, you have to register the device's ESN or MEID with the carrier.

Reactions: chanchan05
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones