• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unlimited Data Plan Help

Twiznoy

Lurker
Feb 11, 2011
Hey Guys, new here.

My iPhone 3G died about 2 months ago and I have been patiently waiting until next week when I finally qualify for an AT&T upgrade.

I have been thinking more and more about switching to Android because I am pretty bored with iPhones.

I decided to get a Streak, but recently have been getting more interested in an Inspire 4G.

Anyway, my question is. Will it be possible to keep my Unlimited data plan when I buy a Streak because I can't buy it at a AT&T store and have to go to Bestbuy, Dell.com, or Amazon.

I know buying it online won't let me bring my plan with me, so my only hope is to go to Bestbuy. Do you think they will/can let me keep my plan?

I might have to go with the Inspire because they sell it at the store.

Thanks in advance

When I got my X10 from amazon, i never changed my unlimited BB plan and kept it for the 29 days I had the phone. I actually found that easier, because Amazon just sent you a phone with a sim, it was up to you to contact At&t to switch the devices. At&t asked me if I wanted to switch or keep my plan.

During that 29 days, I used 10Mg of data, I found because of my conditions of working from home, I stay on Wifi and don't incur any real charges, so when I got my Streak at Bestbuy, they asked again if I wanted to keep my unlimited plan. This time I declined and went with the $15/200mg plan. My first month I used 20mg.

YMMV ;)

If you are very mobile and use google maps directions, or allot of apps that are data heavy in 3G you could easily exceed the limits. I used 15mg of my 20mg in 30 minutes on a drive in Tampa using Google Maps to direction us to a location we hadn't been to before.

I doubt where you buy it matters, much, except when I picked my Streak up at Bestbuy they insisted on getting you into the system and onto their dime, when I got the device from Amazon, I took a week before I called At&t and switched my service. Before then I used my old sim from my BB and had no issues. You should be able to do the same with your iphone sim card.

Personally, I wish Amazon was selling the Streak back in December, there experience of purchase and return was far superior to BestBuy. I have also bought Blackberrys from Wirefly without any issues.

Last, you might also want to look at BestBuy's recent return policy changes, looks like it might be a good deal.

Upvote 0
I not sure how much this will help, but my new plan is listed as "Smartphone Personal" on my account and it is the unlimited data plan. I had gone from an iphone 3gs to a samsung captivate and was able to keep my unlimited plan. Now I did my change at an at&t store so I am not sure if that will help.

If I was you I would make sure they call at&t to verify that you can keep your unlimited data plan. I work for at&t and the last I heard those with an unlimited data plan were allowed to keep them, though I do not work on the wireless side of the house so my information may not be 100% accurate. I just would not leave unless you have something in writing that says you are supposed to have the unlimited data plan. As long as that is what you really want to keep.

Upvote 0
I have AT&T and got my streak from Best Buy and they asked me which plan to switch to and I told them I wanted to keep my same plan (unlimited personal data plan -- $50). They said that AT&T no longer offers my plan but they were able to call AT&T and have them set it up to where I could keep it since I still have it on my account... so I'd say yes, it is still possible to keep your plan.

Upvote 0
I have AT&T and got my streak from Best Buy and they asked me which plan to switch to and I told them I wanted to keep my same plan (unlimited personal data plan -- $50). They said that AT&T no longer offers my plan but they were able to call AT&T and have them set it up to where I could keep it since I still have it on my account... so I'd say yes, it is still possible to keep your plan.

I bought my Streak at Best Buy, and it wasn't until I was checking my account a few days later that I found out they removed me from my unlimited plan. Went back to Best Buy who claimed that AT&T said I couldn't keep my original data plan. Went to the AT&T store down the street, who were clueless about the Streak, but blamed the issue on fat finger typing at Best Buy, who hit the wrong button. They had to send an email message to some AT&T office, but at the end of that day I had my unlimited plan back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones