• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlimited data plan price increase

Nope, I'm not going anywhere. VZW 4G is faster than my home wifi so there's no point in connecting to it when we're in the house if we don't have to.

vzw%252520data.jpg

Upvote 0
I was considering the new TMO plan to convert us stalwart VZW users....

but, the huge White Spaces in my state scare me to death. Just 30 miles south of me, it is no man's land for almost 50 miles.

north of me a few miles, I have neighbors who have reported on some websites that their coverage in their homes is almost non-existent.

So, I gave up UDP on the only line that had it, and merged everything into the T-Shirt XXL for 6 gB plan.

Highest use ever for my family has been 5.92 gB and that was only once.... most of the time it's less than 2 gB

Upvote 0
Nope, I'm not going anywhere. VZW 4G is faster than my home wifi so there's no point in connecting to it when we're in the house if we don't have to.

vzw%252520data.jpg

VZW is at least 3 times faster than my AT&T ADSL, but I can't afford to use VZW for everything.

My ADSL will poke along at 10 mBps or more most of the time, and that is very usable.
Netflix works smoothly, and that takes care of my daughter's may use of it.
She uses FB for posting her "for sale" trinkets, and that don't need a lot of speed.

Upvote 0
I am furious with T-Mobile. After promising me the sun, moon and stars, I signed up for the 10GB For All plan, bought a compatible phone, and moved all four of my Verizon unlimited data lines over to my four T-Mobile SIMs. I didn't get the sun, moon and stars: I got space dust instead. This move was predicated on their coverage map that shows solid LTE in the Manchester, TN area. Imagine my shock when one phone showed 2 bars of 3G and two phones went straight to roaming! A call to tech support revealed that, in my area, 3G is "spotty at best" (tech support's own words).

It took over 2 hours on the phone with Verizon, begging them to restore my account and get all the numbers back to the correct phones. I am here to eat crow and tell you the T-Mobile coverage map is a complete LIE... total fiction at best. This image is from their current coverage map. And there is no T-Mobile LTE to speak of in Manchester.

So I'm back on Verizon and resigned to my fate: either roll over and pay the extra $80/month for UDP or go on the XXL Plan and HOPE that it's enough data. Any other civilized words fail me.

Attachments

• T-MoCoverage151023.jpg
    T-MoCoverage151023.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 155
Upvote 0
I am very sorry for you that the TMO did not work for you in your area.
You have seen my foibles at trying to justify moving to TMO, but with so much White Space on the maps around my home, AND with me being a motorcyclist who purposely hunts for the "Off the Beaten Path" locations..... I was extremely concerned that I would be totally w/o coverage when I needed to use my phone to contact my friends at a Rally Point.

We try to go someplace "unique" every two weeks or so, and either continue on a planned group ride, or we "ride to eat" and just have lunch with Pie and Ice Cream, and then we all go back home.

But, as we try to find "out of the way places", it did seem that TMO would be sorely lacking for my purposes.

I have one question for you..... did Verizon try to penalize you for returning back to them?
I've been with them 25 years and they have been good to me, but I never left and tried to come back.

I had thought to just buy a ultra cheap prepaid phone on TMO and give that a whirl... but finally decided even that was pointless and wasteful of my SS check.... the wasted funds on a trial phone would give me several tanks of gas for my bike...

I note that Manchester is on I-24, but I also note that the coverage map is fading out to a much lighter pink for your area.... It would seem that all they really care about is have at least a 1x presense for the Interstate Highways.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that Chief. When I tested the dual sim P8 Lite I got sims and service for both T-Mo and AT&T with service through Net10 so I was able to run both services through thier paces in the same device in real time in the places where I go regularly. I was able to get comfortiable with AT&T coverage before I disrupted my VZW plans. I'm on unlimited everything with 5GB of LTE per line.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
I have one question for you..... did Verizon try to penalize you for returning back to them?

I was connected to the Win Back Department, where a very nice lady (I'll spare you the name) rolled over backwards for TWO HOURS porting the numbers back, and then through the painstaking process of getting the numbers to the correct phones. While my old account closed when the last number left Verizon, she set up a new account with everything back as it was. I have to hand it to Verizon: they DO have excellent customer service. So now comes the decision whether to pay out the nose for UDP or go on an XXL plan and set data caps. I'll have to call them to do a 6-month audit, by line, by month, of exactly how much data each line went through on average.

Upvote 0
Somewhere on the Verizon website, you can do that line audit yourself.
I do it from time to time to see which of my lines are the data hogs..... ( it is usually me :eek: )''

I remember when I was faced with letting go of UDP, the very nice CS lady (nearly always get a gal) reviewed my data usage for the last ten years.... could not believe they keep that much data :thinking: but she told me that the highest amount was xxxxxyyyyyxxx
and for me, it did not make sense to continue with the UDP on just my personal line. I agonized over that one because I new that on my motorcycle vacation trips, that I use up a lot of data uploading photos to PhotoBucket.... sort of wish I had kept it, but for a "once a year" thing the cost was just too prohibitive for me....

I once found a hotel in Dayton, Ohio that had 5 mBps upload speeds on their WiFi :D, I could not believe it.
I had just toured like 4 museums and made a lot of videos that normally never, ever, see the light of YouTube....
I was able to upload everything from my laptop to YouTube in less than two hours. Totally unbelievable.

on Photobucket, I was able to upload entire Folders all at once, just one click and walk off and leave it alone, an hour later 100s of pictures have been uploaded.... then I can review them in SlideShow or link my friends to them with the SlideShow link.

Upvote 0
well everything worked out, turns out my contract is up towards the end of november, but i could renew before that date. So im under contract for another 2 years, i gave the GS5 to my wife since her phones screen is cracked, and my GS4 is still decent.

I wanted to get the new nexus phones because of the google updates and openess, and im sick of the lockdowned Galaxy line, but im not liking the new nexus phones build quality...so ill wait and see what else comes up in the next few months

Upvote 0
VW will not let me do the payment plan for a new phone without changing my ULD. I have 2 ULD lines and each uses 100-125 GB per month. Looks like I will buy one on ebay. And I will suck it up and pay the $20 per line to keep them. We live in the sticks with no DSL or cable internet. But we have 4GLTE.

Ouch! is all I can say.

and I've been crying because my ADSL line "is only" 10.5 mbps, but at least that is "unlimited" as to how much I use it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones