• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

UNLIMITED DATA PLANS: i received a text warning/reduced data speeds @ ONLY 2 GB, in error, from at&t

it was explained to me that because i live in a suburb of Houston, TX that has its own city name...ATT's system doesn't group me into the pot of people in Houston with unlimited plans...just the ones in Cypress, TX. After spending lots of time on the phone, we came to the conclusion that 36 people in Cypress have unlimited plans. the top 5% is 1.8 people...

Do you live in a small city or municipal area? this is what happened to me...

Upvote 0
I really hope that ATT is NOT rebranding the "grandfathered unlimited data" plan with the 2GB tier, basically taken away the unlimited plan. I know Sprint will eventually drop their unlimited data (now that they have the iphone). But, if Sprint manages to hold onto their trump-card, this will be one customer leaving att at the end of my contract. Not only for the 2GB-Unlimited Tier plan, but for the way att has totally forgotten its customers.

Upvote 0
it was explained to me that because i live in a suburb of Houston, TX that has its own city name...ATT's system doesn't group me into the pot of people in Houston with unlimited plans...just the ones in Cypress, TX. After spending lots of time on the phone, we came to the conclusion that 36 people in Cypress have unlimited plans. the top 5% is 1.8 people...

I just got the txt last Thursday night right as I passed 2GB. The funny thing is that I live right down the street from you. Unfortunately it's Spring though, so I don't think I can help bump the 5% in Cypress any higher.

Upvote 0
I just got the txt last Thursday night right as I passed 2GB. The funny thing is that I live right down the street from you. Unfortunately it's Spring though, so I don't think I can help bump the 5% in Cypress any higher.

ZFrom your average usage, how long would you say it takes you to hit 2GB (if you are not using wi-fi).

Looks like att "has" crcumvently set our Unlimited Data to their 2GB threshold and instead of charging us for extra, they cut us diwn to a practical standstill, making it "unbearable", ths fircing us to drop unlimited and accept their tiered plans.

Daaaag-nabbit!

Upvote 0
ZFrom your average usage, how long would you say it takes you to hit 2GB (if you are not using wi-fi).

Looks like att "has" crcumvently set our Unlimited Data to their 2GB threshold and instead of charging us for extra, they cut us diwn to a practical standstill, making it "unbearable", ths fircing us to drop unlimited and accept their tiered plans.

Daaaag-nabbit!

I typically use my phone during my commute on the bus to and from work and not much data during the day while I'm at work due to horrible reception since I'm in an interior office. So, during that hour or so per day that I'm using most of my data I'm usually streaming Pandora. In the past month, though, I've done more streaming with Amazon MP3 (they use considerably more bandwidth since they don't degrade the bit rate on your music when streaming). Following this usage pattern it took me a little over 3 weeks to get to 2GB.

Obviously the irony here is that I'm warned that I'm being a burden on their network by using 2GB while they have a 3GB tiered plan available for the exact same price. I rarely go over 2GB so I'd consider switching to the 3GB tier, but how do we know they won't start throttling ppl on that plan too?

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
I typically use my phone during my commute on the bus to and from work and not much data during the day while I'm at work due to horrible reception since I'm in an interior office. So, during that hour or so per day that I'm using most of my data I'm usually streaming Pandora. In the past month, though, I've done more streaming with Amazon MP3 (they use considerably more bandwidth since they don't degrade the bit rate on your music when streaming). Following this usage pattern it took me a little over 3 weeks to get to 2GB.

Obviously the irony here is that I'm warned that I'm being a burden on their network by using 2GB while they have a 3GB tiered plan available for the exact same price. I rarely go over 2GB so I'd consider switching to the 3GB tier, but how do we know they won't start throttling ppl on that plan too?

I hear you. Its certainly not the customer they are looking after, its the money they can make by offering or providing less for more $.

Upvote 0

Well I know Rico will be happy about this, but this morning on my way to work...I had the pleasure of contacting ATT enterprise business care to discuss some things that were unknowingly subscribed to by one of my kids. The lady, while pleasant but not very knowledgeable, asked me if there was anything else ATT could do for me today. Me being me, I told her that I would like ATT to rename their Unlimited Data Plan. I suggested that they call it..."We don't have the balls to take it away so we'll just punish you for our cowardice" plan. She didn't have much to say, she tried to explain to me how network usage would be affected by people with unlimited data. I got to explain to her that whole thing about $30 dollars for 3gb was exactly what I was paying for when I was under the envelope of the "Unlimited Plan". Apparently this did not compute, as she just began to repeat the same statement, that i'm sure she read off of a prompt the first time. A ROBOT!!! you guys should be jealous...i got to talk to a robot today!! My childhood dream fullfilled!!

Upvote 0
Well I know Rico will be happy about this, but this morning on my way to work...I had the pleasure of contacting ATT enterprise business care to discuss some things that were unknowingly subscribed to by one of my kids. The lady, while pleasant but not very knowledgeable, asked me if there was anything else ATT could do for me today. Me being me, I told her that I would like ATT to rename their Unlimited Data Plan. I suggested that they call it..."We don't have the balls to take it away so we'll just punish you for our cowardice" plan. She didn't have much to say, she tried to explain to me how network usage would be affected by people with unlimited data. I got to explain to her that whole thing about $30 dollars for 3gb was exactly what I was paying for when I was under the envelope of the "Unlimited Plan". Apparently this did not compute, as she just began to repeat the same statement, that i'm sure she read off of a prompt the first time. A ROBOT!!! you guys should be jealous...i got to talk to a robot today!! My childhood dream fullfilled!!

ROFL! no you didnt! You told the att cust serv rep that? Yup they do not have a script to handle that type of inquiry so , you sent them into that "does not compute" and overheated sensors mode xD I got a pm from an attwirelessforum goonmod once for posting a comment that att csr read from a script and get lost if you throw a question in there that they cant find a script for....they removed the post.

ROFL3.gif

Att has to see the contradiction in the 2GB Throttled "unlimited" vs 3GB tier....but then again, they dont care. Boy I miss the good days when att was more customer oriented.

Upvote 0
ROFL! no you didnt! You told the att cust serv rep that? Yup they do not have a script to handle that type of inquiry so , you sent them into that "does not compute" and overheated sensors mode xD

ROFL3.gif

Att has to see the contradiction in the 2GB Throttled "unlimited" vs 3GB tier....but then again, they dont care. Boy I miss the good days when att was more customer oriented.

I had to, it just amazes me thought...the lady kept saying things like "sir, they only throttle the highest users". Three times I had to correct her and let her know that as an ATT employee...she IS they....lol

Upvote 0
I had to, it just amazes me thought...the lady kept saying things like "sir, they only throttle the highest users". Three times I had to correct her and let her know that as an ATT employee...she IS they....lol

Way too funny! Also youre telling her youve been throttled at 2GB and she is stuck on highest user in the "they" tense. Att is now playing the "we" and "they" game...

Upvote 0
Good! Did you get it back because of your new billimg cycle started or simce att changed the 2GB capitation to 3GB cap?...there goes their "top 5%" story they were telling us. This proves they have converted all unlimited accounts to a capped usage before throttling.

since my data plan is for an LTE phone, I get 5gb before throttling. I got it back because i explained to the lady that 2 weeks after I was bullied into changing my plan, Att changed their policy. I wanted it back...and they gave it to me...super happy about it...its not unlimited, but i get 5gb for 30 bucks!!

Upvote 0
since my data plan is for an LTE phone, I get 5gb before throttling. I got it back because i explained to the lady that 2 weeks after I was bullied into changing my plan, Att changed their policy. I wanted it back...and they gave it to me...super happy about it...its not unlimited, but i get 5gb for 30 bucks!!

Hey that IS good news! Im glad you spoke up and didnt just let this lie. Some may be missing out on thinge like this because they choose to pay an etf instead of addressing their legitimate issues with their services.

GOOD FOR YOU!

Reactions: chall80
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones