• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

unlimited internet

'Unlimited' data comes from the same kind of people who sell you 500 gigabyte hard drives with only 460 gigabytes of usable space. Someone needs a successful lawsuit against this stuff as an example to other marketing idiots.

Having said that, you'd know the data limit if you had read the terms and conditions of the contract, which is always a good thing to do really. So both parties are to blame.

Blame the Microsoft NTFS file system. There's a reason we techies have dubbed it "Never The Fooking Same" To calculate what you will end up with you need to take away 7%. So 250, becomes 232, etc etc.

On topic, yes this pisses me off to no end. 500mb on our phone is a drop in the ocean. I'm not halfway through the month and I've just over 100mb left of usage. Orange are charging 60p per DAY with a "fair use" of 25mb. That's is absolutely pathetic. I don't think they should be able to decide what's fair. We should. And on a very internet aware phone anything short of 5GB isn't fair.

But, then again. You'd never go over. So you'd never pay extortionate prices for your data. This is why some phone companies discourage you from using WiFi, because you're not paying them for data. Which, again, shouldn't be in their hands.

How about we all write to Ofcom?

Upvote 0
Going back to the orginal question, the data allowance on '3' seems to vary on who you ask from 500mb in some stores to 1GB when calling the call centre! I finally recieved confirmation by email as to what I have, if you have the Internet Max add on then you have a 2GB and for normal 'unlimited' (in the loosest sence of the word!) you have a 1GB allownce however if you go over this they are unlikely to do anything unless you really hammer it.
Hope this makes some sort of sence!

When I signed for my new contract with the Desire I was unlucky to get the 500mb limit which I hit within 12 days. Once I hit the limit I was charged! I have had to take on the internet max addon at

Upvote 0
I've been trying to find the actual O2 rules (as that's the network I'm on). It seems to be these (expand the "Pay Monthly tariff terms and conditions (Feb 2010)").

I'm pretty-sure it is deliberately oblique but I can't see any mention of data limits in there - I know there are limits mentioned in the tariff list but it doesn't seem to have made it into the T&Cs. It is interesting (and I suspect a good chunk of O2 customers don't know this) that the streaming of video and audio is explicitly forbidden over the data connection (obviously you can do it over Wifi). Without that it makes it a lot more difficult to blow the limits.

Any lawyers want to have a go at translating the gobbledegook ?

Upvote 0
It is interesting (and I suspect a good chunk of O2 customers don't know this) that the streaming of video and audio is explicitly forbidden over the data connection

Well that is interesting, as I spoke to an O2 rep just a few hours ago and she said that the limits were 1GB until Oct, then 500MB thereafter (see post above), and she explicitly said "that leaves you plenty of data so you can watch videos etc"

Those were her actual words.

Good to see they train their reps well then.

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Also when you check My 3 it used to say "unlimited" next to internet allowance - it now shows the amount and they are working on the texts and 3 to 3 minutes too which currently say "unlimited" for me.

I have checked My 3 and it still says for me "You've not used any internet data outside of your allowance." I made enough of a fuss it seems to have been given the bolt on free of charge, it simply shows on my statement the charge of

Reactions: TremF
Upvote 0
If you go onto the O2 webiste and login you can look at your data usage. Mine tells me I've got unlimited allowance and thus it doesn't show a usage. I can't see how they can enforce a limit if they're not counting your usage. You have to use the Beta of their new service to see this but the data should be valid.

Might be worth a couple of others having a look and seeing what their My O2 account says. I'm on "Online simplicity 10" with an "unlimited data & Wifi" bolt-on.

Upvote 0
I've been trying to find the actual O2 rules (as that's the network I'm on). It seems to be these (expand the "Pay Monthly tariff terms and conditions (Feb 2010)").

I'm pretty-sure it is deliberately oblique but I can't see any mention of data limits in there - I know there are limits mentioned in the tariff list but it doesn't seem to have made it into the T&Cs. It is interesting (and I suspect a good chunk of O2 customers don't know this) that the streaming of video and audio is explicitly forbidden over the data connection (obviously you can do it over Wifi). Without that it makes it a lot more difficult to blow the limits.

Any lawyers want to have a go at translating the gobbledegook ?

Data is not mentioned in the t&c of your monthly tariff because it is not part of your contract, it is a service that you pay for separately on a rolling monthly basis.

Streaming of media is not included as part of any data plan be it Orange/Vodajoke/O2/tmobile but it is impossible for them to police.

Upvote 0
If you go onto the O2 webiste and login you can look at your data usage. Mine tells me I've got unlimited allowance and thus it doesn't show a usage. I can't see how they can enforce a limit if they're not counting your usage. You have to use the Beta of their new service to see this but the data should be valid.

Might be worth a couple of others having a look and seeing what their My O2 account says. I'm on "Online simplicity 10" with an "unlimited data & Wifi" bolt-on.

Mines the same - shows no usage at all since the 11th July (I have used 265mb).

Upvote 0
If I go back to the uk this is what I am afraid of... "unlimited"* internet

Here in SE Asia it is not done on the amount of data you download but on time you are connected

Up until last Monday I was forking out 2 quid for 20 hrs per month unlimited access, now I have my desire I have stepped it up, was thinking about going to the 7 quid 100 hr tarrif until the guy in the shop said they dropped the price for the unlimited

So for 13 quid a month I get proper unlimited access, though at the moment its only edge as the govt telcom is dragging its feet on 3G.

Upvote 0
On topic or off topic but yet again another non desire thread in the desire forum. I remember when this place was organised.

It's a group of people who own the same phone talking about things that happen on it. So it's not exclusive to the desire, so what? We can still talk about it here. There's no requirement to wander off to another section of the forum for it.

Upvote 0
It's a group of people who own the same phone talking about things that happen on it. So it's not exclusive to the desire, so what? We can still talk about it here. There's no requirement to wander off to another section of the forum for it.

Totally fair point but its just general forum etiquette. I like coming in here and looking at other desire specific issues discussions and guess I'm just disappointed don't see that happen now.

Upvote 0
Totally fair point but its just general forum etiquette. I like coming in here and looking at other desire specific issues discussions and guess I'm just disappointed don't see that happen now.

Owing to the fact that the a fair bulk of users on AF as a whole are from the USofA. It only seems right seeing as the majority of Desire owners on AF are UK based and the tariffs in question are all from UK Operators that the discussion remains here so as to recieve most exposure to relevant parties.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones