• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

unlimited internet

Dear Mr Awesome,

Thank you for your enquiry to Consumer Direct dated 14th July 2010. Your reference number for this case is YH705428 and should be quoted in all further correspondence regarding this case.

Based on the information you have provided the key legal points in response to your enquiry are as follows:

* You have a contract phone with Orange paying

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Right now I'm a bit worried about my internet usage with o2 being potentially crippling! :mad:

I've just invested in the Desire and 90% of the features either use or are better with internet usage!
Now at the moment I have "unlimited" usage but in September/October, they are going to restrict me (and everyone else) to 500mb per month with the explanation of "this will only affect about 3% of our customer base so I wouldnt worry about it"
Now given that I installed the 3G monitor today and already I've used 9.57mb through watching a short vid on Youtube and downloaded about 3 apps and sent a couple of e-mails - I'm a bit worried that the 500mb cap will be a nightmare!?!?!

As I only got the phone yesterday I'm still within my rights to return it and go back to my original tarrif for my old phone and I'm wondering if this is the way to go if I'm going to be hamstrung with regards to usage!! :(

SteveP

Upvote 0
So do you think that I should push to continue on the "unlimited" basis as my contract hasnt been altered??

I did have to change my unlimited web bolt-on to a "smartphone unlimited internet and wi-fi" bolt-on and the guy did say that ALL users would be restricted to the 500mb limit come October!!

I think I'll see what happens coming up to October and argue then if they try and restrict me!

SteveP

Upvote 0
500mb on our phone is a drop in the ocean. I'm not halfway through the month and I've just over 100mb left of usage. Orange are charging 60p per DAY with a "fair use" of 25mb. That's is absolutely pathetic. I don't think they should be able to decide what's fair. We should. And on a very internet aware phone anything short of 5GB isn't fair.

Yeah a fair use policy of 25MB per day is utter crap. I'm not on Orange but Vodafone, who charge 50p per day for "unlimited"/fair use of 25MB per day. So I'm scared to use it :S. I seem to get charged 50p even if i accidentally click on the browser and it loads one page as well :(. Yet another day, I could well use the 25MB..then be hit with, idk

Upvote 0
If any of you are with Orange, download the 'your Orange' app from the market. I did this and found that I had a 500mb limit (which I had passed and was then getting charged for) yet I had been sold the plan as 'unlimited' which I had been very specific about needing and had been assured that I was getting. I spent a few hours on multiple days arguing with many operators about the use of the word unlimited. Eventually I took it to the top manager and was told that if I want unlimited data I can ring every day and get a

Reactions: psyxologos
Upvote 0
If any of you are with Orange, download the 'your Orange' app from the market. I did this and found that I had a 500mb limit (which I had passed and was then getting charged for) yet I had been sold the plan as 'unlimited' which I had been very specific about needing and had been assured that I was getting. I spent a few hours on multiple days arguing with many operators about the use of the word unlimited. Eventually I took it to the top manager and was told that if I want unlimited data I can ring every day and get a

Upvote 0
I can confirm that Vodafone give 1gb, and will text you if you are close to having some kind of vengeance wreaked upon you.

TBH, I don't see a problem with the amount of data we get given here. Unless you have no other internet at home then there's not a great reason to be using that much data through your phone. I remember times when due to various reasons I had to use my phone as my primary internet device AND my GPS AND to tether my laptop and even then I didn't burn more than 150mb a week.

I can see that streaming excessive media is going to take you over the limit, but, to play devils advocate for a moment, what the hell are you streaming that's so important ? I mean... seriously... Music and youtube doesn't really scream 'can't wait till I'm on Wifi'. Most devices have swappable SD cards, and so for a minor investment you can have 32+ gigs of media with you, which should be enough to last a day.

There's enough scope on a 1gig plan to deal with a few music downloads as and when you fancy, and I think thats reasonable.

The networks in the states are going CRAZY about data use, because of just how many devices they have to deal with, and although its not too awful here, I think its hopelessly optimistic to be asking for 4-5gigs as 'reasonable' for a mobile device. I really don't see how you could use that much with 'normal' useage patterns.

Upvote 0
giffgaff's no good - their unlimited internet offer finished on the 1st October, and is then replaced with something gobsmackingly awful: giffgaff - giffgaff goodybags at half price. Unlimited calls, unlimited texts and unlimited mobile Internet for only 17.50 pounds. Free calls and texts to giffgaff numbers. Payg tariff

"You lucky giffgaff pioneers can even enjoy free UK mobile Internet up to the 1st of October 2010. After that date, mobile Internet will be charged at 50p a day (if you use less than 2.5MB/day you'll pay less than 50p and if you go over 30MB you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB)."

So -

Upvote 0
giffgaff's no good - their unlimited internet offer finished on the 1st October, and is then replaced with something gobsmackingly awful: giffgaff - giffgaff goodybags at half price. Unlimited calls, unlimited texts and unlimited mobile Internet for only 17.50 pounds. Free calls and texts to giffgaff numbers. Payg tariff

"You lucky giffgaff pioneers can even enjoy free UK mobile Internet up to the 1st of October 2010. After that date, mobile Internet will be charged at 50p a day (if you use less than 2.5MB/day you'll pay less than 50p and if you go over 30MB you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB)."

So -

Upvote 0
I can confirm that Vodafone give 1gb, and will text you if you are close to having some kind of vengeance wreaked upon you.

TBH, I don't see a problem with the amount of data we get given here. Unless you have no other internet at home then there's not a great reason to be using that much data through your phone. I remember times when due to various reasons I had to use my phone as my primary internet device AND my GPS AND to tether my laptop and even then I didn't burn more than 150mb a week.

I can see that streaming excessive media is going to take you over the limit, but, to play devils advocate for a moment, what the hell are you streaming that's so important ? I mean... seriously... Music and youtube doesn't really scream 'can't wait till I'm on Wifi'. Most devices have swappable SD cards, and so for a minor investment you can have 32+ gigs of media with you, which should be enough to last a day.

There's enough scope on a 1gig plan to deal with a few music downloads as and when you fancy, and I think thats reasonable.

The networks in the states are going CRAZY about data use, because of just how many devices they have to deal with, and although its not too awful here, I think its hopelessly optimistic to be asking for 4-5gigs as 'reasonable' for a mobile device. I really don't see how you could use that much with 'normal' useage patterns.

It's the fact that these limited plans are being sold as unlimited that bothers people. My "unlimited" plan has an FUP of 500MB, which I would hit every single month if I didn't have WiFi nearly everywhere I browse the net.

Upvote 0
Out of interest, my account starts its new month tomorrow and I've just had a look at the log for this months - 235MB sent and received. That's more than ten times what I used to use before I got my Desire (I had a HTC Tytn II Windows phone before) but way inside my 3GB a month limit with T-Mobile. I'm really pleased - I basically don't worry about using mobile data any more.

Ian

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones