• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

unlimited internet

Wow really?
See if other countries can, why cant we in the UK/US? Makes me mad.

Btw, someone said Voda do 1GB. Is that on an older tariff, or a non online one? When I took my phone with Mobiles, they gave an option for 500mb or 1GB but, online, on the Vodafone website, I can only find the 500mb option and would love to get the 1GB one instead and I don't fancy ringing em to find out. Last (and only) person i've spoken to from Voda since getting this contract/going back to Vodafone, was quite rude. Well not rude but, not friendly, when I spoke to him to ask if my plan included any data usage. Amazingly he didn't try to sell it to me either which I was expecting. I think it was home time lol.

Upvote 0
I agree, what are you all doing to use that much data over such a short space of time?

Just browsing the internet and downloading/updating the odd app and streaming some TV/Radio ripped through 936MB the past week.

the internet just isn't as low bandwidth as it used to be and ISPs, broadband or mobile, need to get a grip.

I use wifi as much as possible and have barely used even a few MB of data until last week but once you rely on it it doesn't take long to use 100's of MB. Even basic websites use a surprising amount of data at times and that's without any flash content.

500MB data allowance would be quite terrible, although workable if you stick to mobile sites I guess :eek:

Upvote 0
Yeah, when was that added in? Got a link to the T&C alterations? (Too lazy to read them again myself).

I got that quote in an email from T-Mobile customer relations, but I found the terms on the site: Fair Use Plans - Our Services - T-Mobile

Pay monthly plans which include internet on your phone on an Android phone You'll need internet coverage, check it at t-mobile.co.uk/streetcheck. Remember that you can only use your internet on your phone Booster in the UK and you can't use your phone as a modem or use web'n'walk Plus for peer to peer file sharing, or making internet phone calls. *Internet on your phone comes with a fair use policy of 3GB a month. We'll monitor how much you send and receive each calendar month so that we can protect our network for all our internet on your customers. If you use more than your fair use policy amount, we won't charge you any more, but we may restrict how you can use your plan, depending on how often you go over your amount and by how much. As your phone is always connected to the internet, if you remove your internet on your phone Plus Booster from your account you'll automatically be charged up to

Upvote 0
fwiw I get 500 from Vodafone. Oh, and Bexy - I'm sure that the odds of you getting to speak to the same call-centre monkey if you rung again are about a million to one so don't sweat it; call them! :)
Yeah I think I will tomorrow :). Do you know if it's added straight away or from the next bill date?

Which i just realised isnt an issue as im sure my bill date is the 22nd lol.

Upvote 0
What I like about this is that you've got the head of Hutchinson telecom, who founded Orange; and then sold it to the present owners before founding '3' to compete directly with it; '3' operate on a shared network with T-Mobile; T-Mobile have now merged with Orange; the CEO of '3' admits that he should never have said unlimited when it wasn't; '3' still claim unlimited internet, but it's limited to 500Mb/month; what you have to ask, is which network does Kevin Bacon use?

EDIT: '3' have changed their wording, so trading standards just need to tackle the others!
Surely if '3' CEO acknowledges that the 'unlimited' in marketing is a false claim he should have had it removed immediately? I hope that trading standards swoop on the whole industry and fine them massively for all the lies in their marketing, and then impose strict guidelines on what can and can't be claimed, and what MUST be identified clearly in any tariff. I suspect a 'lite' version of what I'm talking about is about to happen, and I suspect the headline costs of mobile phones is about to jump sharply.

Upvote 0
What I like about this is that you've got the head of Hutchinson telecom, who founded Orange; and then sold it to the present owners before founding '3' to compete directly with it; '3' operate on a shared network with T-Mobile; T-Mobile have now merged with Orange; the CEO of '3' admits that he should never have said unlimited when it wasn't; '3' still claim unlimited internet, but it's limited to 500Mb/month; what you have to ask, is which network does Kevin Bacon use?

Surely if '3' CEO acknowledges that the 'unlimited' in marketing is a false claim he should have had it removed immediately? I hope that trading standards swoop on the whole industry and fine them massively for all the lies in their marketing, and then impose strict guidelines on what can and can't be claimed, and what MUST be identified clearly in any tariff. I suspect a 'lite' version of what I'm talking about is about to happen, and I suspect the headline costs of mobile phones is about to jump sharply.

As far as I know 3 have now stopped using the term unlimited in their marketing. It's gone from my mythree allowance page.
And they have also rolled out an increase to 1GB data for most/all plans including existing customers. Quite nice when all the other operators are trying to decrease to 500MB don't you think :D

Upvote 0
As far as I know 3 have now stopped using the term unlimited in their marketing. It's gone from my mythree allowance page.
And they have also rolled out an increase to 1GB data for most/all plans including existing customers. Quite nice when all the other operators are trying to decrease to 500MB don't you think :D
You're right!

I Googled and went to a website that's branded very, very similar to '3', with an URL that uses a couple of hyphens to be as similar to '3' as possible and has links for products and tariffs direct to '3's pukka site, but appears to be a third party; it is claiming unlimited data, but when you link through to '3', as you say they do seem to have ditched 'unlimited', and now offer 1Gb... glad my network still offers proper unlimited, as I downloaded another 101Mb @ lunchtime!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones