• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlock Boost for GSM outside US, but keep Boost in US?

Apex2

Lurker
Jul 9, 2017
I have a LG Stylo 2 (LGLS775) used in Boostmobile here in the US.

I would like to unlock it to be used with GSM networks while traveling in Europe with a pre-paid SIM card.
But I would NOT like to erase my Boostmobile account or CDMA use, since that is my preferred carrier in the USA.
I would like to have the option to use the GSM network outside US with other SIM card, but being able to swicth back to CDMA and Boostmobile when returning from travels.

Somebody else posted a link to his company and I want to hear if anybody used this service with succes?

https://gsmzambia.com/lg-sprint

They do have a disclaimer that my Stylo 2 will not be unlocked for US, which is fine, I only need to use GSM in Europe - BUT I must know for sure that it will still work on Boost in US after the unlock...Anyone done this scenario? Reason I'm a bit nervous about is that I chatted with a similar service I found on ebay and he couldn't guarantee it would still work on Boost and that he'd wipe all my Data on the phone ! No thx Sir !

I started there and after much discussion they gave me something called MSL unlock code. After checking around the general opinion seemed to be that this code will do nothing to unlock the GSM part of the phone. So I went the route with GSM Zambia and he did unlock the GSM part it seems for outside US which is what I needed, have not yet been able to fully test since I'm still not on the trip. However, the issue is now that I have lost the Data portion on the phone here in the US, calls and text work but no internet. Still trying to find a solution with the help of GSM Zambia, trying a reset...

Upvote 0

APN settings were not showing up in the settings menus. Finally what took car of my issues was a factory reset, now all is working a OK again. Also after the factory reset the APN settings showed up in menu. Not sure if there would be any benefit at this point to do the APN settings since all is working, does it optimize the phone more even though it's working now? Big thanks to GSM Zambia, who was very helpful and refused to give until everything was resolved. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones