• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unlock Bootloader Now Available:)HTC VIVID

I'm very new to all this and understand what unlocking is suppose to do.. but after I unlock it then what? hahah

were to find all the tethering hacks and fun stuff?
Then you can add your own custom ROM/system etc.Gets rid off all the AT&T bloatware etc.I have not done it either myself but thinking about trying it on this vivid after developers come out with a good ROM.First i may try the ICS update when it come's out and see how i like it.You can head over to XDA to see what its all about.Just be warned i think it voids the warranty.

HTC Vivid - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Could someone who has done this make a video tut?

ahaha.. I was going to post that also, but thought I used all my noob points for this month.
I tried to go over that link but there seems to be allot of terms and stuff I have no idea of.. seeing it done would make it much easier.

I was hopeing for something like jailbreak...

goto jailbreakme.com and boom.. everything is done.. haha

Upvote 0
this is much better than Jailbreaking. It is a permanent "unlocking" of the phone. We call it "rooting". Its called that, because the process unlocks the Root folder of the operating system and allows you to make changes to it. On xda-developers.com you'll find a Superguide that will walk you through unlocking the bootloader and gaining root access. Eventually one of the developers will probably build a program to acheive all of this...kinda like the Ace Hack Kit for the Inspire 4G, or Superoneclick for numerous other android devices. My only advice is that you ask NOOB questions here, and not on xda-developers.com. They are a great resource, but tend to not be very tolerant of new users. Not big IOS fans either...

So far i'm not seeing any ROM's that I want to flash yet, but give it time...soon there will be tons of ROM's, and you'll have a blast finding which one you like the best!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones