• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unlock bootloader without USB cable

Montyclt

Lurker
Aug 20, 2015
Hello to all!

I have a tablet with root access and bootloader locked (rooted with KingRoot app), but this tablet hasn't USB cable and no posibility to connect with USB to computer. I successfully connect with wireless adb and computer can see device and execute adb commands.

I try unlock bootloader on this tablet, but when I reboot in fastboot mode (I use "adb reboot bootloader"), I lose adb wireless connection and can't execute "fastboot oem unlock" and is imposible connect via USB cable (hardware limitation, the tablet hasn't MicroUSB port).

My question: Is posible unlock bootloader without using fastboot or is posible execute wireless fastboot commands?

Thanks you community!

Hey Montycit, welcome to our AndroidForums :).

It's very unlikely that you'll be able to unlock your device without access to the fastboot utility, which as far as I know, requires communication to your device via USB.

The reason you lose adb access when in bootloader mode is that the operating system's Android kernel isn't running the adb daemon in the background for adb for communication to the outside world.

adb and fastboot are very different utilities, I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
Is this tablet the HP slatebook x2?

I did a little research and it looks like this may be the cable you need: http://partsurfer.hp.com/ShowPhoto.aspx?partnumber=728141-001

It's not cheap and it's a little confusing because it's referred to as micro USB to USB but from some posts around the web it sounds like it will allow you to interface with the computer.

Upvote 0
...I've root access and I'm finding alternatives to unlock bootloader without cable connection (without using fastboot). ¿Is this posible?

Again, it's highly unlikely :(.

Typically, and in a devilishly simple way, manufacturers typically lock there bootloaders by "...disabling the keypad and usb driver in bootloader." (see https://www.codeaurora.org/blogs/little-kernel-based-android-bootloader).

Interacting with the bootloader is done by fastboot which is done over USB.

You can't use the fastboot utility in any other mode than bootloader mode (i.e., in custom recovery or when Android is up and normally booted).

Chicken and egg, etc...

Upvote 0
What tablet lacks a microUSB port and responds to the fastboot oem unlock command?
Answering my own question - not the Slatebook X2,apparently.

http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...a-recovery-mode-shell-without-connecting-to-p

It seems to require -

fastboot -i 0x03F0 oem unlock

Also substantiated at -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2425232

Yes, the tablet is Slatebook X2. I know the existend of the cable, but is more expensive and hard to find to buy in confiable stores. I've root access and I'm finding alternatives to unlock bootloader without cable connection (without using fastboot). ¿Is this posible?
That same article mentions Trickster Mod with its link to XDA.

Check out "Trickster MOD Kernel Settings"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bigeyes0x0.trickstermod

IF you're insanely lucky, you might get somewhere but its bootloader unlocking is limited to devices that accept fastboot oem unlock. Read: Nexus.

The only other unlock without a pc that I've ever seen is Sunshine for HTCs (bypass the unlock with s-off) and some Motorolas.

Otherwise, where my esteemed and more conservative colleague says that it's highly unlikely, I'll simply go the extra mile and say that it's more likely to be impossible.

The X2 isn't a new design in high demand so specific bootloader unlocking development isn't happening, and is unlikely to happen whenever a direct method exists as is the case here.

If you want to unlock the bootloader on the X2, get the pricy cable before they're all gone or find the pinouts for the thing and solder your own.

Upvote 0
+1 for the detailed research, @EarlyMon and @Brian706! :)

There are indeed USB-free (i.e., via an app) bootloader unlocking methods for some devices (Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10, and One Plus One, etc. for example) where it was discovered that a byte/flag in a partition (/param or /misc, etc.) was being used by the bootloader to store/identify the bootloader lock (and tamper) state.

Discovering these flags required having access to these devices and doing before/after diffs of all of the partitions to see what if anything changed between a bootloader lock and unlock operation. Very clever :).

It's interesting to note that the 1st gen (2012) Nexus 7 couldn't be cracked this way since there seemed to be a series of bytes that were different instead of a single byte/flag (these bytes were also different from device to device).

Anyway, again, without an enterprising dev with access to a device or two to test the above method (which is not guaranteed at all to proves fruitful), you're best bet would be to obtain said expensive cable for the fastboot oem unlock attempt.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones