• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unlock Code Anyone?

As far as I'm aware, there is no gsm version of the prevail 2. It's a cdma device. This means there's no sim card/sim card slot. This also means that it can not be carrier unlocked (since you wouldn't be able to put a sim from a different carrier into the device ;) )

With cdma devices it's a matter of weather or not the carrier will accept devices from other carriers (or flash them over to their service)

Then there are also other factors, like the phone's radio working with the frequencies the carrier you wish to switch to uses.

Upvote 0
As far as I'm aware, there is no gsm version of the prevail 2. It's a cdma device. This means there's no sim card/sim card slot. This also means that it can not be carrier unlocked (since you wouldn't be able to put a sim from a different carrier into the device ;) )

With cdma devices it's a matter of weather or not the carrier will accept devices from other carriers (or flash them over to their service)

Then there are also other factors, like the phone's radio working with the frequencies the carrier you wish to switch to uses.

It has a mini sims and some sims devices may have a gsm patch this patch has files to change the build.prop and with the alter of the ril you can change a CDMA to gsm with a little work .

Reactions: STEELER70
Upvote 0
I've actually owned both the prevail and the prevail 2. If there is a mini sim slot it is inside the device (meaning you would need to disassemble the device to access it)

Also, gsmarema clearly states that it will not work on any gsm network.
1407114981_picsay-1407114981_zpsgpzgsy6i.jpg

But being that i know very little about unlocking devices, i may be off base entirely.

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Here's some additional info regarding cdma vs gsm and unlocking
http://theunlockr.com/2010/09/15/unlocking-101-difference-between-cdma-and-gsm/

Edit - I've also heard the rumor about phasing out the cdma network, but I haven't seen and definitive info or timeframes. Would you happen to have any links which specifically state which US carriers are dropping the cdma network and/or when? :)

Not until there's coverage everywhere and devices for everyone to use VoLTE.

IOW - not anytime soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones