• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlock for any carrier?

yknujssab

Android Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2012
BakersHELL, CA
So I bought this phone about a month ago thru Sprint (LS993). Love the phone!!!! No complaints from my kiddos about theirs either. But Sprint sucks!!! I thought I'd give them a try and since the phone only cost me $5 a month per phone ($120 total per phone) I said what the hell. I believed their sales rep and commercials (can you hear me now) about how they are comparable to Verizon. I came from T-mobile which gave me better coverage anywhere I was in from LA to San Jose. Having unlimited LTE doesn't help when you can't use it.

So my question is how to truly and completely unlock this phone to use with either AT&T or T-mobile. I know I have to pay off the phones and that's in the works. I just want to be ready to switch as soon as I can. Thanks in advance.

Sprint unlocking policy:
https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Unlocking for Domestic Usage - Sprint will unlock a device from Sprint's network under the following circumstances:

1. The device is Domestic SIM Unlock capable
2. The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 50 days
3. Any associated Service Agreement, Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including payment in full of any applicable early termination fees or end-of-lease purchase options. Because leased devices are not owned by the user, the end of lease purchase option must be exercised and paid in full before the Domestic SIM unlock is completed.
4. The associated account is in good standing
5. The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked

Reactions: yknujssab
Upvote 0
Sprint unlocking policy:
https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Unlocking for Domestic Usage - Sprint will unlock a device from Sprint's network under the following circumstances:

1. The device is Domestic SIM Unlock capable
2. The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 50 days
3. Any associated Service Agreement, Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including payment in full of any applicable early termination fees or end-of-lease purchase options. Because leased devices are not owned by the user, the end of lease purchase option must be exercised and paid in full before the Domestic SIM unlock is completed.
4. The associated account is in good standing
5. The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked

Thanks @kate
I should meet all those 5 requirements by next month. I was needing the actual physical procedure. Like calling for an msl code or something like that. Because the phone is both CDMA and GSM. I'm not sure of the procedure.
I'm worried about not getting good data connections.

Upvote 0
I was needing the actual physical procedure. Like calling for an msl code or something like that. Because the phone is both CDMA and GSM. I'm not sure of the procedure.
I'd guess after you pay it off you can request the unlock in store or on phone.

After it's SIM unlocked it will be unlocked for GSM and CDMA, but not all CDMA carriers will activate it though since it's more restrictive.

Reactions: yknujssab
Upvote 0
I'd guess after you pay it off you can request the unlock in store or on phone.

After it's SIM unlocked it will be unlocked for GSM and CDMA, but not all CDMA carriers will activate it though since it's more restrictive.
A simple sim unlock. I sure hope so. I'll update the post once I do it. Thank you all for your help.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones