1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Unlock jp5 tablet

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Android Question

None
    Unlock jp5 tablet

Advertisement

twinjpay likes this.
  2. ShadowLobo

ShadowLobo Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2019
    Hey can you tell me specifically how to remove the sync to kiosk lock. I have over 1400 songs and pics. I just want to use it as is, so I do not loose what I invested. Thanks

3. Hartattack

Hartattack Lurker
    None

Nov 22, 2016
    Male
    So has anyone tried? Jpay wants me to mail it to them with $15.00 + s&h both ways they say if it fully functional they load Android on it and return it with all my media still on it if not they send my media (900 songs I bought from them forover$400) back on a thumb drive. Many released inmates have been screwd out of there $170 "tablet", which has no camera,speakers or replaceable battery. Help me beat the man!

4. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    mikedt likes this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Locked bootloader apparently, and a customized Android OS, no doubt intended to be very secure. I doubt very much that root(or "jailbreak") would be possible.

I suspect being what it is, and where it's intended to be used, that there might just be efforts to try and crack it open.

#4 mikedt, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Mikestony likes this.
  6. Shifty657

Shifty657 Lurker
    None

Oct 13, 2017
    The tablets have ability to receive Bluetooth files but can't install apks any way to get an app to install without ability to change security settings.

7. ScottytheBrain

None

Dec 5, 2017
    FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY

Inside prison they must be synced at a kiosk every 30 days. When unable to use a kiosk (in the hole for 7 months) it was possible to get around this. The jist is, you must manually disconnect the battery, and then you'll have time to go to a radio channel or music playlist. However, it will stay locked even though the playlist continues until the last song.
    1. On the back you`'ll see the battery is connected to the board with a white plastic plug. Being the prison model case is transparent it's visible: there's a red wire and a black wire from the battery to the plug. That's the spot you're looking for.
    2. One would need to get through the plastic uppercase to unplug it. Prisoners could use the recharge adapter to scrape away a small hole on the bottom edge (less noticeable), then poke something inside to carefully press the plug apart. Only one side needs to be disconnected for approximately 20 seconds. There's no need to totally unplug it, and then it slides back into place easier too.
    3. Be quick, sign in, and go straight to a radio channel or a music playlist.

This is obviously a fix for the desperate. Upon release one can call jpay`s support # 800-574-5729. Like you said, they want you to send the player in to be unlocked at your own expense (you pay shipping both ways, no fee to unlock).

8. cedricogletree967

None

Mar 2, 2018
  9. Forge

Forge Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2018
    As far as getting it unlocked, it shouldn't cost you but the postage to send it to them. They are supposed to unlock the player for free.
    If you can either remember what you had on it or write everything down such as purchased games and music, do so. They are screwing up players when they are just supposed to unlock them and put on them what they are supposed to have on them once unlocked. Mine came back with no sound, Bluetooth, 3 of my mixes were deleted, and it didn't work right.

10. finalsowell

finalsowell Lurker
    None

May 12, 2018
    THIS IS JUST INFO ON HOW TO
    GET YOU MUSIC AN PICS OFF THE
    JPAY TABLET WHEN YOU GET
    HOME. WITHOUT SENDING IT TO THEM. ENJOY!

Get a phone smartphone USB cable, plug it into your (windows) desktop/laptop. Then plug it into your jp5 tablet,(make sure that ur tablet. An desktop/laptop is on. Then windows will prompt u saying. Unable to install drivers. You will have to manually install a " USB storage driver".
    Open up the device manager,
    Find the unrecognized device, it should be
    Labeled jp5 media device.
    "Right click, select update drivers,
    *then on the next menu that pops up,
    *select, browse the computer for drivers.
    *select, let me pick from a list of drivers.
    *then on the next menu,
    *find the option to list all drivers / select from a list / show all drivers.
    Once you get to that the rest is easy,
    Just find the drivers called " SCANLOGIC , USB STORAGE DRIVER. INSTALL IT. THEN UR JP5 tablet sdcard storage will be accessible.

openup likes this.
  11. Vyrrus2k9

Vyrrus2k9 Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2018
    Can somebody who has went home and mailed in their tablet to JPAY to get the unlocked version of Android please rip it off and upload it somewhere and post a link? Preferably in a image file or something that can be flashed to other devices with a little Googling.

12. Nccp

Nccp Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2019
    My sons dad died in prison. He was refused medical care from what I have gathered from grievences that were in jis petsonal belongings that were FINALLY mailed to us. There was also one of these tablets, and a letter from a cell mate stating he had documented in his "calendar " the horrible way he was treated. I have tried everything I can think of, but can't figure out the password. We don't want to use it, only to see what evidence it may contain. Any help on bypassing the password without loosing information would be greatly appreciated

13. steiny180

steiny180 Android Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2014
    Male
    Did you read and try post #9 ??? ...

MoodyBlues and mikedt like this.
  14. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    And if that doesn't work, think the only option is to return it to Jpay for them to unlock it.
    To repeat something I posted previously about this prison issued tablet... "Locked bootloader apparently, and a customized Android OS, no doubt intended to be very secure.", and therefore no bypass.

#13 mikedt, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    MoodyBlues likes this.
  15. Nccp

Nccp Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2019
    Thanks for your responce. No I haven't tried the steps above yet, as I fear I will loose what we need to see. However, I will give it a try.
    Thanks so much. Have a blessed day

mikedt likes this.
  16. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I wish you best of luck, and I really hope you do find what you need on it.

Quite frankly if there was a backdoor in or bypass of the tablet's security, that would be a very serious problem for the prison authorities and the manufacturer.

MoodyBlues and Nccp like this.
  17. xryanx555

xryanx555 Lurker
    None

Apr 9, 2019
    I wish someone could post a solution that actually WORKS. I would like to be able to get access to my stuff on one of these devices, and unlock them for others, too.

The device will display some technical information when you do the following:
    1.) Go to Settings
    2.) About Tablet
    3.) On the Build Number box, tap it really fast about 5 times. The screen will change to a lengthy listing of all apps installed with version numbers, etc.

The device I have shows the following information on that screen that may be of use:
    Android 4.2.2-worker 20170915 121101

Another related device that needs cracking is the Access Corrections MP3 player.

Both devices connected to kiosks that ran some form of Windows, so I know that one way or another, that operating system can get to the files. But if they're using some kind of encryption, it could be a lost cause.

#16 xryanx555, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  18. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    So far no successful crack or "jailbreak" for JP5 AFAIK.

19. xryanx555

xryanx555 Lurker
    None

Apr 9, 2019
    Ok I was successful in getting into the device. The instructions were essentially correct in an earlier reply, but there was something missing. Here are better instructions for Windows 10 Pro users like myself:

Connect up the tablet while it's on. (It uses a standard Micro USB cable, used for many cell phone charger/sync cables)
    Go to your Device Manager. (Type Device Manager into your Cortana search box.) The device will be listed under the category of "Other Devices" as a "JP5Mini Inmate Media Device" (in my particular case).
    Right click its entry and select Update Driver.
    Choose "Browse my computer for driver software".
    On the next screen, click the option for "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".
    On the next screen, you will get a box titled, "Select your device's type from the list below. Common hardware types:" Scroll way down the alphabetical list until you see "Universal Serial Bus controllers". (Don't confuse it with anything else like USB Devices, etc.) Double click it or select it and choose Next.
    On the next screen, you'll see a split box with "Manufacturer" on the left and "Model" on the right. Under the Manufacturer box, scroll way down and choose "ScanLogic Corporation". The Model box on the right then makes available "ScanLogic USB Storage Device". Double click it or select it and choose Next. You will get a warning box that says this driver isn't recommended. Choose Yes to install it anyway. You will get a box that says "Windows has successfully updated your drivers". Click Close.
    The tablet will then appear as "MEDIAPLAYER" in Windows Explorer with a drive letter. You can go right into the drive and access all the files on it, which includes all your music, etc. The music files pull up with album art intact, which is nice.

Theoretically you could now flash the device with a regular Android build, but I won't explore this personally because I doubt I would use the device for anything.

Note that my device was a JP5Mini from the Florida system that was last connected to a kiosk in November, 2018.

Attached Files:

ocnbrze and mikedt like this.
  20. inameasone

inameasone Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2013
    Male
    Georgia
    I know how to remove the Sync to Kiosk lock, I know how to add jpay games, but I cant add songs or non jpay apps. Adding music doesn't work for me, I'm assuming it's a permissions issue, anyways I can help if you are still watching this thread.

21. jhova8175

jhova8175 Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2019
    I have a jp5 and I want to transfer videos and music to it via USB cable, can you please help me with this, I have grown attached

22. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion counts.
    VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Formerly Linux sysadmin/programmer
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Are you dead-set on using a cable? I'm asking because transferring files without a cable is a piece of cake with Airdroid.

You can use it to transfer from/to a computer or another Android device. It's great, and no cables! :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  23. jhova8175

jhova8175 Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2019
    Yes USB cable is a must because all I have is my phone, so I don't have a computer to transfer

24. jhova8175

jhova8175 Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2019
    Yes USB cable is a must because all I have is my phone, so I don't have a computer to transfer

25. jhova8175

jhova8175 Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2019
    Yes I have to use a USB cable because don't have a computer right now

26. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    you have a phone. you do not need a pc. the link is for the app on the play store.