1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Unlock jp5 tablet

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Nov 10, 2016.

1. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Has your JP5 been properly and completely unlocked or released. Because otherwise I believe you can't do much with them at all, if they're still in prison mode.

Advertisement

ocnbrze likes this.
  2. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion counts.
    VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Formerly Linux sysadmin/programmer
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    I'm sorry, but I'm confused. You said, "I have a jp5 and I want to transfer videos and music to it via USB cable"

WHERE are you going to transfer from?

3. jhova8175

jhova8175 Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2019
    I want to transfer from my phone to the jp5

4. jhova8175

jhova8175 Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2019
    Which app should I get and can you tell me how to transfer data

mikedt likes this.
  5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    mikedt likes this.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Has your JP5 been released and unlocked?

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. jhova8175

jhova8175 Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2019
    Yes it's released and unlocked

8. ShadowLobo

ShadowLobo Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2019
    Sorry, I probably did not give you enough information in my last request for help. I am using a hand me down computer with windows 7. I am not very computer savy, I went to prison in my twenties came out three months ago in my mid fifties. Missed all the computer evolutions. The tablet was a God send. Gave me an introduction to touchscreen tech, primed me up for smartphone use. I just want to listen to my music. The thing cost me $170, most songs were $150, I got a little over 1400. Plus There are priceless pics of my mother and sister before they passed. I have heard nothing but bad stuff about loosing your content when you send the tablet to jpay to unlock. Thats why I am here asking for help. The thing is currently locked. Telling me to sync to the kiosk, which I have no way of doing. Basically holding my music and memories hostage. I do not need or want to add or take anything from the tablet, only continue to enjoy it as I have for the past three years. Thank you for any help you can provide. Be blessed.

9. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Hi there, ShadowLobo, and welcome to Android Forums! :)

Unfortunately, the person you quoted hasn't been back in ≈5 weeks--and may never come back.

I understand how important it is that you not risk losing any of your data.

When you were released from prison, shouldn't they have removed the lock? Or is that not how these things work? Is the tablet of any use without that lock removed?

Please don't lose hope. Someone may come along with a solution.

Edit: Have you visited the JPay site? Their Contact page has various options for contacting them. I'd start there.

#34 MoodyBlues, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    ocnbrze and mikedt like this.
  10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Yeh, thanks @MoodyBlues for the useful post. I would like to help more , but I'm in China.

ocnbrze likes this.
  11. ShadowLobo

ShadowLobo Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2019
    Thanks @MoodyBlues for the encouragement. No they do not automatically remove the security locks. You are expected to send them the player and pay shipping fees. However, all I have heard are stories that they loose your content when they "unlock" your device. That's why I was hoping that person could have helped me. Btw when you get out they give you $50 and a bus ticket, thats it. The $50 is a debit card which charges you $6 processing fee every time you use it. Not complaining, would rather be free living under an over pass in a cardboard box than in prison. I will keep checking here to see if anyone comes around with the help I need. Till then, the tablet will just be a paperweight keepsake. Thank you again.

12. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    You're welcome. :)
    As regulars here know, I never say never! Until proven otherwise, I'm going to believe that your tablet can be unlocked without losing any data.

Would you mind telling us--or just me, privately--which state you're in?

Something very important you may not know: any instructions that include words like 'factory reset' or 'wipe' will DELETE ALL YOUR DATA. So as you're looking around online for solutions, be aware that some can result in losing all your stuff. Anything you're not sure about, ask us and we'll let you know if it's safe.

13. ShadowLobo

ShadowLobo Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2019
    Florida, but I now live in NYC. Will do, about checking here before I try anything. One thing I learned is patience. Thank you very much for your kindness and consideration. Be blessed.

scottalotta303 and MoodyBlues like this.
  14. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    So the tablet was obtained in Florida?
    Okay, good. You're likely to come across all sorts of suggestions, some of which are irrevocably destructive, but they assume you already know that--so they don't bother putting up a warning.
    I'm sure you did...

I know this doesn't compare to your situation, but I've had my own lesson in patience recently. Short version: I nearly died, was hospitalized for 6 months, during which time I was too ill to even brush my hair. I could do absolutely nothing on my own, not even sit up. Then I spent several more months with in-home nursing and bathing care, and physical therapy. I had to get a live-in helper. For this former type-A personality and workaholic, being reduced to lying in bed 24/7, having my diapers changed, and too weak to use a tablet or anything, believe me I had to be patient. I'm hugely improved, but still limited; without my helper I couldn't manage.
    You're very welcome. I hope we can get you up and running on that tablet--without losing anything! :D

15. ShadowLobo

ShadowLobo Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2019
    Sorry to hear you had to go through all that. I will pray for your continual and full recovery. Thank you for your kindness in sharing. Be blessed.

ocnbrze and MoodyBlues like this.
  16. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Thank you. :)

And stay tuned...the wheels are turning in my brain regarding your tablet...

ocnbrze likes this.
  17. scottalotta303

None

Aug 9, 2019
    Alot of us in the florida system are disappointed with the jpay skeme. I'm currently finishing a 120 month bid here as well and have been sent to a work release center where the kiosk is always down and they dont have a charging station.I too have invest a pretty penny in my jpay5 and just want to use it as an auxiliary device with my phone. They allow us to have smart phones so I'm able to research as well and have found this forum. I believe the tablet it see elf is the original Samsung Galaxy. Although I wouldn't swear by it. I'm using a samsung Galaxy j3 orbit and thought maybe I could get help removing the sync to kiosk lock as well as tether it to my samsung via USB. When a solution to the jpay problem comes to your enlightened mind please help me as well. One love. Maze

ocnbrze likes this.
  18. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Will do. And welcome to AF! :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  19. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    I really hoped to have some good news by now but, unfortunately, I don't. :(

More than a week ago, I contacted JPay via their contact form--and have yet to receive a reply. I explained that I'm knowledgeable about Android and am trying to help someone online. I said that there are horror stories of losing all data after sending them a device to unlock, and asked for the best way to go about sending it in and not losing any data.

After receiving no reply, I called them at the 'customer service' number on their site... :rolleyes: Its automated system gave only three options, none of which I could use, such as account number. So that was a wash, too. I had hoped that speaking to an actual person, as a person who understands how Android works, might yield something helpful, but I didn't get a chance.

@ShadowLobo and @scottalotta303 I understand how important your files are to you, and that you don't want to risk losing them. But unless someone has legitimately found a way to unlock the devices, without borking them, I'm afraid you're going to have to send them in and hope for the best.

20. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2018
    Hey everybody, just checking in on the thread since I've currently got one of these I've been playing with. For those who are attempting to access the files they have stored on their tablet, you CAN do this! The solution was posted back on page one by a one-time-only poster going by "finalsowell." Big props to whomever he/she is/was, because without their info I suspect everybody would still be stuck. Another poster reiterated the directions further down in the thread, but I'll do it one more time for @ShadowLobo and @scottalotta303 and anyone else who stumbles in.

The only reason at all I can see that you should ever have to send your tablet into JPay and fork over more money is if you really, really love the device and want to be able to use it on the outside... and even in that scenario, you're better off taking the $15 you'd be giving JPay to un-cripple it and just taking a look at your local Facebook Marketplace or LetGo, because you can probably find someone selling a used tablet for about the same amount or just a little more that will almost definitely be an improvement over the JPay tablet - these are pretty crappy devices that run a pretty ancient version of Android (4.4.2). The only thing it does have going for it is the amount of onboard storage, which is 32GB on the JP5 that I've been messing with - not sure if they're all this size or if maybe a cheaper 8gb/16gb variant is available too. Anyway, let's get back to the important thing, rescuing your personal data without paying the ransom. You do need access to a PC of some kind, but you can do this easily even if you don't know a thing about working with this kind of stuff otherwise.

Turn your tablet on and connect the USB cable to your PC. Assuming you're running Windows, you should see a message pop up that says something about "Setting up JPay Inmate Media Device" or something to that effect (that's not the exact wordage, but it's close). Once it finishes "installing" you'll find that you still can't access it, because Windows will say that there's no driver installed or available. Don't believe it. Look for "Device Manager," open it and scroll down until you see the JPay device in the list - it'll have a warning sign icon next to it that indicates the error. Right-click on it and select "Update driver." You'll have an option to search the internet and Windows Update, or to manually browse your computer, which is what you'll want to do.

On the next screen, you'll pick the option "let me pick from a list of available drivers" and in the left-hand side box you'll see a list of device types. Scroll all the way down and find the entries for Universal Serial Bus Controller and ScanLogic. Specifically what you need is the one named "ScanLogic USB Storage Device." Select this driver and click next, and now you should get a pop-up that urges you *not* to install this driver because it cannot be verified for this device, blah blah. Ignore it and install anyway and once it's done you should see Windows detect a "new" device named MEDIAPLAYER. I need to mention, however, to proceed on this step with caution! This may or may not happen to you, but upon Windows now detecting the tablet correctly I was immediately greeted with a popup warning of an error on the drive that Windows wanted to scan and fix. If the same happens to you, I'd probably recommend to just ignore it until you get your files copied. I eventually did press OK and allowed the scan to run and while it looked to me like everything was still there and unharmed, it's still not worth the risk if it can be avoided.

But yeah, that's basically it - simply point Windows to the correct driver, which you already have, and voila, you've got access to the entire contents of the internal storage area. Copy your stuff and tell Jpay to go suck one. By the way, even if your tablet has a lock screen set on it that you don't remember, or even a non-functioning screen, this method still works.

Anyway, apologies if this is totally incoherent - I'm in serious need of some sleep at the moment. I'll try to re-edit this later and add more information too about the device itself and what I've figured out by poking around at it.

#45 lugnut2099, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    ocnbrze, MoodyBlues and mikedt like this.
  21. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Thanks for the info, @lugnut2099! I think the problem arose from comments saying they wish they'd find a solution that actually works, leading to the conclusion that those instructions weren't good.

Also, I only use Linux, and have no idea if a windows-based instruction is right or wrong.

So, just for clarity, the method you posted should allow transferring files from the tablet to a computer, but will not render the tablet useable on its own, correct? Being able to use the tablet, which they paid for, is important to Shadow and scott.

22. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2018
    Correct, this will just get you access to the files on the device but it remains "kiosk-locked" or whatever. That said, I've got a few ideas I'm gonna be trying today that I'm hoping might let us do something in regards to that problem... I'll post whatever I do find though.

23. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

Jan 27, 2011
    $HOME/LosAngeles
    Okay, great. And thanks for the confirmation on what will/won't happen following those instructions.

These people paid for their devices, and I think it sucks that they're not unlocked--for free--upon release from prison. :oops:

24. ShadowLobo

ShadowLobo Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2019
    Thank you lugnut2099! I got my files off with your instructions, I really appreciate all you time and hard work, Thank you to you too moodyblues for your help and kindness. I will continue to check this thread to see if you, lugnut2099, come up with a solution to the kiosk lock. Like I said I do not want to add content, just use it as is. Thank you so much Again.

25. mello1234

mello1234 Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2019
    I have a unlocked jp5 tablet and I would like to to add a Windows os as dual partition on it. How would u do this. I was thinking of putting a Windows emulator on it through the Bluetooth but I have been having trouble getting apps to work that I put on it through Bluetooth. Any advice you can give would be great blessing