1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

unlock lg motion for gsm?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by akikhia, Dec 21, 2012.

1. akikhia

akikhia Android Expert

is it possible? know the s3 works but not sure how the radio is set up on the motion

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. This is the lg motion all things root forum not the lg connect

3. akikhia

akikhia Android Expert

hahahaha my bad i meant lg motion sorry

4. akikhia

akikhia Android Expert

so is it possible?

5. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

6. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior

Or it's one of those kinds of phones where the option only pops up if you put something compatable in it

7. ninjasinabag

ninjasinabag Android Enthusiast

Nope, the motion would only be unlockable for Verizon and even then you'll lose 4g.
    We do have GSM settings on that menu, but they are only useful if you are all ready on GSM networks. In any other situation messing with those settings will SEVERELY mutilate your connection and the ability to connect to the network. Take it from me, even reflashing the firmware wont fix the connection...

8. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

It seems to me that it may be missing some essential hardware for gsm. Otherwise I think it would show under Networks in the hidden menus.

9. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior

I'm 102% sure it has a gsm modem but idk about the radio

10. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

If I understand things correctly, all that is necessary for GSM to work with a generic Android system is:
    One- a gsm modem and Two- a gsm programmed radio

IF that's correct AND IF your 102% sure it has a gsm modem, THEN you should also be 102% sure it doesn't have a gsm programmed radio.

And not a ""idk about the radio""

I am wrong here? What gives? :thinking:

11. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior

Well that's the thing they might only give you the options in the LG hidden menu but what about the blocked android hidden menu what if they're just waiting for the tmobile merger to unblock it or they just don't want people to access it.

Kinda like the thing with the Nexus 4 where Google said it wasn't LTE compatible but all people had to do was go in the hidden menu & change that, if that wasnt stock android & lg had blocked the stock hidden menu and put there own only with the options without LTE, people would never be able to get LTE on the Nexus 4

12. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

Interesting, I didn't know that about the Nexus 4. Apparently the Nexus 4 only supports LTE Band 4 and doesn't have an LTE antenna, which means the LTE is currently limited to very few US area's. And in the places it does work, signal strength is poor b/c no antenna. So if the LG doesn't have a gsm antenna and we got it working, then it may suffer from poor reception as well. :(

To find out if LG is using a software block, perhaps you could get the /system/app/ apk's that Samsung Galaxy 3 uses to access these settings, then install them on the LG. And try to test out if GSM could be selected/used.

13. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior

I'll do it tomorrow when I get my hands on a motion. Or if not I can send them to you so you can try if you want.

14. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

Sure, send me the apk's if you can get them. We can both try it out.

15. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior

Sepero likes this.
  16. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

17. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior

I believe I had seen CDG2 in the ##LGSERVICEMENU , LG did a real good job @hiding the settings

18. akikhia

akikhia Android Expert

it would be great to see this work my gf goes to mexico often and would like to use her phone on the network over there

19. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

I'm using ##LGSERVICEMENU, and I don't see anything noticably different. Perhaps I should be using another keycode? Is there an odex that goes with this apk?

20. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

21. runner2k

runner2k Newbie

Has anyone been able to use a GSM SIM Card on it after hacking?

Edit: This phone is just perfect. It's just about the size, specs and price I was looking for to replace my HTC Wildfire S.

LG Motion 4G Forum

The LG Motion 4G release date was August 2012. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2012
Release Date
Reviews